Chapter 35: A Nice And Easy Day

The trip back to Fort Summer was spent in an uncomfortable silence. No one wanted to talk about what they saw, no one wanted to provoke the idea that someone could turn on family like that, so easily as well. Before your arrival, you all take off your masks and stash them in your bags, everyone's faces look different; maybe more grizzled, perhaps more traumatised, but probably both.

When you get back to the Ranger's cabin, you unpack all of your equipment and head with Bug and Captain Anderson to debrief with the General. As you enter his office, his huge smile changes to a serious frown as he notices your melancholy mood. "I take it the news isn't good then?" he asks.

The debrief is quick and the General patiently sits through it taking in all of the information, "Ah I see" he says as Anderson finishes, "So it looks like we can't just simply assault them, we'll have to be more creative".

You all hear a shuffling outside the General's cabin and instinctively you draw your pistol, "I'll check it out" you say as you make your way to the door. You open it and with the same motion, raise your gun at head height.

"Oh shit calm down it's just me!" Ethan yelps as he jumps back. You haven't really seen him or heard from him since, well, you're not actually sure, he might've been at the Dixieland riot with you but you can't really remember. A lot of that has slipped your mind and is a bit of a blur if you're being honest with yourself, although in your defence, that was when you were shot in the head and fell off a horse.

"Why are you here?" you ask in confusion as you holster your gun.

"I'm here to bring a message to the General" he replies as he salutes you, something of which you're still not used to.

"Well I guess you should come in" you say, gesturing him inside the cabin. You follow him into the General's office and watch as he salutes and steps forward, "I have some news from David Carris" he says standing to attention, "He went on a solo scouting mission and found a Delta scouting camp not too far away". He pulls out a map and points to a location just a few miles away from Fort Summer.

"This is worrying" the General exclaims, his face going pale, "They're pretty much in between us and Dixieland".

You look at Bug and Captain Anderson, "Would you like us to take a look and scout the area out?" you ask.

The General shakes his head, "No; but I think it would be wise to send out an extra detachment of soldiers to Dixieland" he says turning to Anderson, "Who do we have that we can spare?".

Anderson thinks for a moment, "I believe Alpha Team could be sent" he says, "And the Rangers could escort them there just in case the Delta try and ambush them".

The General nods, "Then it's sorted, Y/N, tell Alpha Team to be prepared to leave for Dixieland tomorrow morning".

You salute him and leave his cabin, making your way to Alpha Team's cabin. You knock on the door and Jessica answers, "Oh hey Y/N" she says with a smile, "Would you like to come in?".

"Firstly" you say, trying to sound official, "You will address me by my rank, and secondly-" you cut yourself off as you watch the other members of Alpha Team approach the door. You've never given orders to people you don't know before.

"How may we help Corporal?" A guy from Alpha Team asks as he reaches you. He looks slightly younger than you and is quite scruffy.

"Alpha Team is to prepare to be transferred to Dixieland tomorrow" you say sternly, "You will be escorted by the Rangers and if you have any questions you should raise them with Captain Rivers".

They both nod and the scruffy guy goes off to presumably tell the others. Jessica stays by the door and smiles wistfully at you, "I am sorry" she says quietly, "For hurting you like I did".