Chapter 48: The Fall Of The Militia

Smoke bellows through the ragged treeline as you all venture further towards Fort Summer, guns at the ready. "This is fucked" you say quietly, "What are we even gonna do? It's not like we're even part of the Militia anyway".

"We need to get revenge" Anderson says coldly, "For Hulk, for Cutter, for Goldilocks-".

"For Gandalf" you utter, "And all of the innocent people the Delta has kidnapped and killed".

"Here, here!" Bug says  enthusiastically.

You finally reach what's left of Fort Summer's wooden palisades and open your mouth in shock.

"Fuck" Bear mutters.

Half of the wall surrounding the fort is gone, the other half, is slowly burning into a pile of ash. As for the cabins, most of them are on fire and the ones that aren't are definitely close enough to catch any time soon. The thick smoke catches in the back of your throat making you choke. 

"This isn't good" Bug says quietly as you all walk over the embers and enter what was Fort Summer.

Gunshots ring out from around Fort Summer and you instinctively duck into cover, slipping on your mask. The others do the same and raise their heads, looking for the threat.

"There must still be some pockets of resistance!" Anderson shouts over the noise of battle, "We'll split up into groups of two and try to take back the fort, Bear you're with me!".

Bug sidles up to your cover, a burnt out truck used by the Militia for troop transport, and you both watch as Bear and Captain Anderson jog away.

"I reckon we ain't gonna win this battle" Bug says, "So we ought to focus on more pressing matters".

"Which are what?" you say, slightly panicked, "It doesn't matter what we try, the fact is they slaughtered almost all the Militia soldiers that were here".

He nods, "Which is why we're getting the hell outta here" he says sternly.

"What about the others?" you reply.

Bug gives out a small chuckle, "Obviously we're not leaving without them, just like how we're not gonna leave without Chloe".

You nod slowly as you begin to understand what he means.

"We're gonna find Chloe for you because I know you two are close; then we're gonna find Anderson and Bear and get the fuck out of this shithole" he says confidently, "Now come on, let's move".

You adjust your mask slightly so it fits more comfy on your face and follow Bug towards the sound of gunfire. You both reach the toilet blocks and peer around the corner. A row of Militia corpses are lined up outside the cafeteria, clearly executed by the Delta soldiers, a few of whom are standing near the bodies, looting them.

You raise your rifle but Bug puts a hand on it and points the barrel towards the floor.

"No" he whispers, "Watch this and be ready".

You don't exactly know what he means by this, nor do you have time to figure it out as he reaches into his pockets and pulls out a handmade grenade. Your eyes widen as he pulls the pin and pelts it at the Delta soldiers who unsuccessfully dive away from it. 

The explosion shakes the ground under you and creates a thick black smoke, choking the air around the cafeteria. You watch as Bug pulls out his knife and advances on the soldiers. With a thirst for blood, you unsheathe your machete and follow, eager to finish off the wounded soldiers.

A Delta soldier with both legs missing at the knee drags himself across the grass towards you.

"Kill me please!" he squeals as you raise your machete to the heavens. You bring it down on his skull, cracking it like an egg and covering you in a spattering of blood.