Stars

Fred and I were hunched over our textbooks working on an essay for Professor Umbridge's class. His hand was just resting on my ankle, which was barely touching his, as we worked in comfortable silence.

Together we read our textbooks aloud, speaking to one another when we learned something new or found a fact that interested us. I got the sense that he liked the way I arranged and organized my facts because he often looked at me with a wide smile plastered across his face, waiting for me to finish reading.

Suddenly, Professor Umbridge appeared in the hallway, her eyes narrowing as she caught sight of us. "Mr. Weasley and Miss Lupin-Black. Eight inches apart, please," she said sternly.

I looked up from my essay, feeling a surge of indignation. "We are just sitting by each other, ma'am. We aren't doing anything," I said.

"Boys and girls must remain eight inches apart," she repeated, her tone unwavering.

Fred's hand slipped off my ankle as we both sighed and returned to our homework, trying to keep our distance as instructed.I could feel Professor Umbridge's eyes lingering on us. We finished our essay without exchanging another word.

Once I knew Umbridge had left the hallway, I let out a breath of relief and glanced over at Fred. "Fucking bitch," I muttered, giving him my best scowl.

He raised an eyebrow and looked amused. We returned to our work but this time we were no longer trying to keep our distance. Instead, we worked side-by-side with his hand resting comfortably on my ankle, occasionally exchanging glances or whispers about the class material.

Fred and I finished our essay and looked up to find Professor Umbridge still lingering in the hallway, her gaze unfazed. She cleared her throat, "It seems I must remind you yet again that boys and girls must remain eight inches apart."

I sighed in frustration but Fred just smiled, his thumb lightly rubbing on my ankle. "Tsk tsk Umbridge, ignore the toad love," he whispered.

I glanced over at him with a smirk before turning back to the professor. "Yes ma'am," I muttered.

Professor Umbridge continued to stare at us for a few more moments until she finally nodded her head in satisfaction and walked away. We both let out a sigh of relief as soon as we were sure she was gone.

"Only two more weeks until Christmas break," Fred said with a smile, his hand moving from my ankle to link his fingers through mine.

"I get to see my fathers," I said happily, missing them dearly.

Fred's face dropped for a brief moment before he quickly regained his composure and smiled mischievously at me. "You won't miss me?" he teased, raising an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes playfully before leaning in and pressing a light kiss on his lips. "Of course I will babe," I giggled when we pulled away from each other, "I'll write to you every day."

Fred seized my ankle and pulled me towards him. I managed to turn around and sit beside him as he wrapped his arm around my waist. He grabbed my essay and book from me and kissed my neck.

He mumbled something and it felt like we were being pushed back. I looked over and we were about 10 feet back from the actual window seal. There was another version of us far apart.

"Umbitch can't see us now. If she walks by then she will see the fake versions," whispered Fred into my ear

I stared down at the ring, feeling a wave of emotions rush through me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked up at Fred's gentle smile. He was so beautiful and I felt like I could stay like this forever.

"Brilliant," I whispered, looking from my beautiful redheaded boyfriend to the night sky.

He smiled and replied with a shy nod before he kissed my forehead. We both looked out at the stars feeling home in each other's arms.

"Y/n," said Fred fidgeting with my shirt nervously.

"Yes Freddie?" I asked concerned, leaning away slightly to see his face clearly.

He grabbed something from his pocket and opened it up revealing a small box inside. "I was going to give you this at Christmas but . . ." he trailed off, opening the box to reveal a silver promise ring adorned with a small diamond in the center.

My breath caught in my throat and a tear ran down my cheek as I stared at it in awe.

"Aww Freddie," I smiled cupping his cheeks gently - so overcome with emotion that all I could do was kiss him deeply.

He held me close and whispered sweet words of love in my ear before placing the ring on my finger and sealing it with a kiss.

"I love you, y/n," he said earnestly. "And this is my promise to you, that I'll always love you."

I looked up into his eyes feeling like I could stay there forever, and I knew that I would love him for eternity.

"I love you too my freddie. Thank you for everything," I smiled before pecking him on the lips again. 

We continued to do our homework and essays well into the night not even caring that the curfew bell had rung out. Around 2 am we decided to head back very sneakily. After getting an earful from the fat lady Fred and I walked into the Gryffindor common room.