The letter. (3)

It's been four days since I saw Christian, I've been filled with nothing but guilt and fear since. Every knock I hear on my door and every creak in that apartment I automatically fear they've come for my son.

"My handsome boy" I said as I brushed through the little bit of hair that was just starting to reach his ears. I slid the shark towel off his body and tossed it into the hamper before laying him back down on my bed and began putting lotion on his hands and feet. I picked up his pyjamas and slid them on his legs before I heard the doorbell ring, "Coming" I said slightly louder then my usual tone and quickly put Wilders arms into his pyjamas and zipped them up.

The doorbell rang again. "Coming, just one second" I yelled slightly louder then last time, I picked Wilder up placing him onto my hip and made my way to the front door. "Hi" a short lady wearing very formal clothes said to me as I swung the door open, "hi" I said in a confused tone as I crocked my head to the side.

"I came to deliver you this letter, please drop your half off at the courthouse within the next two or three days"she said as she handed me a white envelope and started walking again. I flipped the envelope over seeing the big Canadian flag stamped in the corner with an official courthouse sticker, I began picking at the seal with my fingers but as I went to open it Wilder began crying.

"I know it's past your bedtime I'm sorry" I said as I placed the letter onto the counter and placed a kiss on top his head, we made our way to wilders room and I sat in the chair and nursed him. I looked down at my son and realized everything I took away from him, Max didn't leave us I left him.

He was in his first few years of formula one and my model career was really taking off but once I found out I was pregnant that put a hault on everything, I wasn't going to let both of our careers go down the drain so I left. Only now am I realizing that we would have been fine, instead of him being my sons father he's playing step daddy to someone else's child.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when wilder grabbed a handful of my hair, I looked down at him to see he was pretty much asleep so I untangled my hair from his hand and popped a soother into his mouth, I laid him down in his crib and zipped him into his sleep sack before turning on his sound machine and quietly leaving the room. I made my way towards the envelope sitting on the table and ripped it open before reading it.

Court date Sunday June 18th 2023.

This is a court document to Charlotte Marie Smith regarding child's paternity. You have no option but to agree to a DNA test on your child that will be done within the next 2-3 days if not sooner at Johnson's courthouse before your case on the 18th at 9am.

I was only one portion into this letter and my stomach was already on the verge of exploding as my fingers trembled.

Alleged father Max Emilian Verstappen has requested this case and if you were to win you will be granted $20,000. In the case of you losing alleged father requests visitation rights that will change to split custody within the next 10 months. Child is not allowed in the courtroom so you are allowed to bring one other member with you to watch your child when in the courtroom and if you can not find one a social worker will be given free of charge.

Thank you -Johnston's courthouse.

I suddenly felt my knees fall weak and I crumbled to the floor, this can't be happening it really cant. I reached onto the couch grabbing my phone and quickly calling my mom.

"Mom he knows" was the first words I spat out after she answered, "who knows what sweetheart, are you okay" my mom asked confused as exhaustion laced her voice, I could tell I woke her up. "Max mom, he knows" I said finally letting the tears fall, "did Christian tell him" my mom asked remaining calm. "Well that's the obvious answer" I said while rereading the paper over and over.

"I have a court date on June 18th, he's fighting for rights" I said finally standing up from off the ground as my legs trembled beneath me, "we knew he was going to at some point" my mom said as I sat down on the couch trying to catch my breath.

"It says I can bring a family member to watch Wilder while the hearing is going on, do you think you can fly in I'll pay for your ticket" I said placing my head into my hands. "Don't worry about that, me and your father will come and we'll get our own" she said reassuring me.

"I need to find a lawyer like right now" I said standing back up and peeking at the baby monitor. "Listen if you can find one for a decent price me and your father will cover half" my mom said before yawning. "I'll pay you back, I promise" I said leaning against the kitchen counter preparing myself for the debt I was about to face.

"don't worry about that hunny, I do need to go to bed though it's late here and I work in the morning" she said as I heard a bed frame creek from the other line. "Okay call me tomorrow, I love you" I said feeling a sudden wave of nausea wash over me, "I love you hunny" my mom said before hanging up.

I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge before sitting down and goggling the best lawyers in Quebec, I went through hundreds before deciding on one. I emailed Brenda May Young asking if she was available for the date and time, I figured she wouldn't get back to me till at least tomorrow morning but to my shock I got an instant reply.

I opened the email with shaky hands before taking a sigh of relief when I read that she was available, we set up a call for tomorrow night so I could explain the situation to her. I quickly opened my savings account and transferred her pretty much everything I had in there, it was my savings for Wilders birthday.

I knew Max was going to get some sort of visitation rights, in the end he had every right to. I more so wanted a lawyer to help me back up my side of the story so I didn't look evil, that was never my intentions when I left him.

I was no longer was excited for the frozen pizza I bought earlier this week but instead wanted to just get to bed. I made my way to the washroom and brushed my teeth deciding washing my face can wait until tomorrow, I threw on a pair of dirty pyjamas before climbing into bed.

I felt tears prick my eyes as I tried to drift off to sleep but the thoughts kept coming, what if I lose my baby, what I'd Max hates me, what if the whole formula one company including the fans shame me, the what if's wouldn't stop as the room began to spin.

I watched the hours on the clock tick by over and over until I decided enough was enough, I got out of bed and began digging through my nightstand pulling out an old joint my neighbour gifted me after I moved in. I grabbed a lighter from the kitchen and made my way to the balcony.

I felt the cold Canadian air brush past my skin causing goosebumps to form all over my body, I placed the joint between my fingers before lighting it and lifting it towards my lips taking a sharp inhale in.

I felt the smoke burn my lungs before pulling it away and coughing, I lifted it to my lips one last time behind patting it out on the railing watching the ashes slowly blow in the wild towards the ground beneath me and placed it on the small glass table beside me.

I quietly opened the door before sliding off my slippers and crawling back into my bed, I wasn't high to the point of not knowing what was happening but just sleepy. I laid my head onto the pillow and instantly fell asleep.

@ Charlotte_Smith

@ Charlotte_Smith Some nights are harder then others

@ user738 This is why no one wanted her modeling for them lol
@ haileybieber It's legal 🤭
@ gigihadid I actually love you