Chapter Six

“What is it Derek?” I said, walking to the front door.

At that time, Spencer was running down the stairs.

“What’s wrong Morgan?”

He handed him another pale yellow envelope that had already been opened. Why did this person keep opening the envelopes?

“Are- are these pictures of you?”

My heart was beating pretty fast and I was struggling to focus on what was happening. They wouldn’t show me the pictures, so I had to take them from their hands. There were two photos of each of us. The first one of Agent Morgan was of him pulling the bags from his car, and the second was of him walking inside. The first one of Spence was of him standing in the hallway upstairs, after I had told him I liked him, and the second was of him… counting?

I wasn't really sure, but he looked frightened. Then the two of me. They had been taken before Derek and Spencer got here. The first one was of me washing dishes in my kitchen and the second was of the back of my head when I was playing with Holly in the living room. Photos of us were already creepy, but the fact that these had to have been taken from outside meant that whoever had decided this was funny was at my house. And they have been for a few hours.

“Do you know when the letter was addressed to me? Like when it had been sent?” I asked, handing the photos back to them.
“It was addressed to you a month ago, but it landed on your desk today.” Spencer answered.

He didn’t give me any statistic of any kind, his reply was a lot more bland, and he was a lot quieter than usual. Morgan’s voice was quiet as well. I’d appreciate it if they at least pretended this wasn’t happening, even if we were talking about it.

“So this guy, I’m assuming, has been trying to contact me for a month and instead of being a normal person decided to stalk me?” I replied, picking at my nails.
“It seems that way.” He said.
“I’m calling Hotch and Emily, us three can canvass your yard and the surrounding area to see if we can find anything and you two can stay behind just in case they decide to come to the door.” Morgan said, walking outside.

I groaned, dramatically landing on my couch. Holly jumped onto my lap, staring at Spencer.

“Is there anything else in the envelope? Or on the envelope?”
“There’s the three letters again. B.X.T. But other than that I do- oh here. There’s another letter.”
“Do you think the B.X.T might be initials? I’m not really sure what name that could be, but it’s worth a shot.” I said, taking the letter from Spencer.
“I can ask Garcia to check for any records of guys with those initials tomorrow.” He replied, sitting down on the couch.
“Okay,” I said, reading the letter.

This time, the letter contained more than just “Hi Jasper” but this time I’d rather have had the original letter. This one read, “Hi Jasper. Don’t forget to feed Holly. Make sure to call Valeria too.”

“You’ve got to be kidding.” I breathed, folding the letter back into the envelope.
“What? What does it say?” He asked, putting his hand on my shoulder.
“He knows my mom’s name. And Holly’s name. He told me to make sure I fed her, but I did just before you guys got here, and she hasn’t eaten since.”
“Do you have any exes or ex-friends who met your mom? Ones who would know about Holly?”

“No. I stopped talking to everyone once I joined the Bureau. There might be a family friend that I don’t know about who my mom might have talked to, but other than that nobody really knows my mom or about Holly.” I said, holding Holly in my arms.
“Okay. Well I’m gonna go check the food bowl and make sure it wasn’t tampered with.”
“You don’t think he got in here, do you? All of my doors and windows were locked until you guys got here. But he would’ve had to come through the front door and it’s impossible not to hear it.” I asked.