Chapter Thirty-one

Spencer, Rossi, JJ, and Hotch had made it back, we told them everything and they gave us what they had.

“Trevor, Casey’s husband, was abducted at around 6pm, the sun might have started to set, but it wouldn’t have been dark enough for no witnesses. It’s a bus stop right off the main highway, so someone driving by or another passenger must of seen something, yet no witnesses have come forward.” Rossi said.

“Unless of course, he willingly went with his abductor. Nobody would have noticed someone just walking off with another person.” Spencer added.
“So it was probably someone he knew, what’s the case for our other victims?” I asked.
“Same thing. Areas that were more than likely crowded, right off the main highway, during rush hour.”
“Maybe our unsub has a 9-5 job, he can’t do his abductions any earlier than 5 because he’s at work.”

“That could also explain why he does his abductions on Friday, he has the rest of the weekend with his victims,” Emily said, “JJ, Hotch, what did you guys learn from the dumpsites?”

“He wraps his victims in some kind of tarp, but there's nothing insanely special about it. You could buy it at any hardware store. It shows remorse, or care, for the victims.”

“That adds to what we said, that our unsub was probably cheated on. We said that he probably thinks he's putting the husbands out of their misery.”

“That helps our profile, but he only attacks blond men from 28-32 who are married, every one of them has been married. Sure, it could be what he looks like, but it’s a rare case to target people who look like you. The sophistication needed to pull these off suggests a criminal background, so I don’t think our unsub is hunting men who look like him.” JJ said.

“Maybe our unsub is a gay man and his ex-husband looked like these men?” Emily said.
“Maybe, but he’s attacking straight men,” I replied.
“His ex-husband might have married a woman after their divorce, could be his stressor.” She continued.

“It’s a viable lead,” Hotch said, “I’ll have Garcia look into divorces from the past, maybe 20 years,  involving blonde men in their late 20s or early 30s who got remarried to women.”

He walked off to a separate room to call Garcia and made an effort to whisper. It was almost 10pm, and we were all tired, but we continued drinking our coffees. Hotch walked back after about an hour of odd small talk and silence with some photos of possible suspects. There were 15 separate photos, and an equal set of case files that looked more like books. 

“These were the ones who stuck out to me the most, but there’s a lot to go through.” He replied, tossing each of us, including the few police officers who were standing beside us.

I flipped through the first few pages of a man named Avery Martin (surname was Penham) who, 10 years ago, was married to another man named Mateo Martin. Avery never changed his last name with the hope that he and Mateo would get back together. Mateo was the blonde man who, at the time, was 30 years old, and just 4 months ago, right before the murders started, married a woman named Natalia Fryer (She never changed her last name.) Avery has a long criminal record for petty crimes ranging from the ages of 16 to 34 before he seemed to change completely. He attended charity events, even donating large sums of money, as well as volunteering for the charity events. He never remarried. 

“This guy, Avery Martin just seems lovesick, other than his insanely long rap sheet it doesn’t seem he has the motive. His file doesn’t list the reason for his divorce but he seemed to turn into a better person after it. But I don’t think we should write him off completely.”

“The same thing happened with this guy, Rowan.” Emily said.
“And this’n, Aiden.” The Sheriff replied.
“Same thing with Waylen too.”
“The divorce seemed to make at least half of our potential suspects,” Hotch said, “Does anybody have anything different?”