Chapter Thirty-two

We walked along the sidewalk, the paper from the map was peeling from the side of the bus stop. I pressed down the paper to reveal a long mark of a similar eyeliner that was on the photos I received.

“Weird,” I mumbled.
“What? The eyeliner?” 

“Yeah. There was an eyeliner tube in my room this morning that looked like it had been used a ton, but it was relatively new. I think we’ve been looking at this from the wrong direction.”

“Wait, you said there was an eyeliner in your room? Was there another letter?”

I thought back to the letter I got, “Don’t tell a single soul, we’re the ones in control. Breathe a word, we’ll make sure we’re heard.” 

“No. I didn’t.” I lied, bringing my attention back to the eyeliner.
“We need to check out that eyeliner, do you have it with you?” He replied.

“It’s in my go-bag. I was going to give it to the receptionist since it wasn’t mine but I forgot to give it back. After we finish up here we’ll go back to the hotel so I can grab it.”

“Okay.”

We continued walking around the area but we found nothing else of interest. We drove off to the hotel and we walked into my room, grabbing the eyeliner. 

“This is why I said it’s been used a lot,” I said, pointing to the ruined side of the eyeliner, “This isn’t how eyeliner is applied, so it’s been used for more than makeup. And I say it’s new because it's not dried out at all and there’s no deterioration on the package. I think most of our profile is right, but I think our unsub is a woman.”

“Okay, that makes sense, but why is she kidnapping and killing blond married men? Was she married to one, or was she in an affair with one?”

“I think she was married to one and maybe she cheated and he left, could’ve driven her crazy and she could feel like a victim so she kills these men so the women don’t have to feel like victims. She could see this as a favor.”

“Let’s get back to the station,” Spencer said, squinting his eyes at the loud cars.

When we got back to the station, I slid the eyeliner into an evidence bag, placing it in front of the team.

“There was eyeliner on a ripped up map and this was in my room this morning.”
“Why didn’t you say anything about the eyeliner?”
“It didn’t feel important,” I hesitated, “I just thought a previous guest left it and the janitors or whatever forgot to take it out.”
“Okay,” Hotch replied, “So what does the eyeliner have to do with this?”

“I think our unsub is a woman. I think that could also be why we had no witnesses, if a pretty girl comes up to you and you find out your wife cheated, you’d probably walk off with her.”

“Why is she killing blond men though?” Emily asked.

“When Spencer asked me that I said I think she was married to one and she could have cheated so he left, it would’ve driven her crazy. She might feel like a victim so she kills these men so the women don’t have to feel like victims despite the fact that they are the cheaters.”

“Okay, so we need to find women who were married to blond men and divorced because of an affair?”
“Yeah. But I think we might want to take a look at the victim of the first wife, she was one of the ones who didn’t want to come in, right?”

“I’ll have Garcia find her address and you and Rossi can take a look around her house, I’ll see if there’s any other property in her name too.” Hotch replied, walking off as he dialed Garcia’s number.