Chapter Twenty-six

Though we read through, highlighted, and even discussed what the confessions might mean, we came up with nothing. No ideas we had made any sense, and the ones that did were things we already thought about. I wasn’t exactly focusing, each time I read anything relating to this case, my mind went back to the shed. The cutting, the call, all of it. Of course, I’d never admit that, I wasn’t getting taken off of this case for something as dumb as that. Not that it’s dumb, but we dealt with things like this all the time and they never stuck with me. I was never a soldier in our battles, but I still walked on war ground, why did this have to be different?

My cuts were healing but I knew the emotional scars were gonna heal a hell of a lot slower. I shook my head, bringing my attention back to Gabriella’s confession. It sounded so much like Michael’s confession, like they had been rehearsed. The only thing that was different was how she started her confession. Michael started it with a question, despite that it was written. She started it with a statement. “Sometimes bad things happen to good people.” and  “Why do bad things happen to good people? It’s because they’re bad to someone else.” They were so similar, but none of the other members pointed it out, not even Spencer. 

“These feel rehearsed.” I said.
“Other than the introductions, I don’t see anything similar. Why do you think they're similar?” Hotch asked.

“I see where he’s coming from. It’s incredibly uncommon for two people to have the exact same speech pattern and literary etiquette, but they write in the same way. Other than the use of the oxford comma, which only Michael uses.” Spencer replied.

“He has a degree in English so that would make sense.” I said.

“I feel like we’re only finding them when they are in convenient places. Whenever we find each “helper” it’s planned. They know how far we are and how much progress we’ve made. We’ve profiled the people in the group, I think it’s time we profile the group,” Hotch said, “What do we know about them so far?”

“They like being in control, they aren’t leaving anything up to chance.” I said.
“They seem to like having power in numbers. They also seem to enjoy staying back, they aren’t very hands on.”

“They have defined roles and they don’t seem to be breaking them, they listen to the boss, so that probably means a personal connection which we’ve established as a dislike for Jasper.” Emily said.

“Which in turn gives us what?”

“Obedience usually means you're socially dependent on the person, so maybe the new recruits are runaways or others like that who the boss established a home for. Maybe like his kids or children his kids know.” 

“Yes. I’ll have Garcia look for children who have been missing for at least 6 months and young adults who seem to have fallen off the grid that the boss might have connections to.” Hotch said, walking out of the room.

“I think we’re making real progress,” I yawned, placing my hand over my mouth, “After we get this case cleared up we deserve a huge dinner and spa retreat.”

“We should get our nails done.” Emily replied.
“Honestly? We should. The guys included.”
“Hotch would look really good with nails.” Spencer said.
“Oh definitely,” Emily and I agreed.

He swung open the door and the three of us started giggling, trying to keep our composure.

“Okay then,” Hotch said, shooting us all a worried glance, “Garcia gave me a list of 10 possible runaways and off the grid young adults.”

We each took a paper, looking through the rap sheet and image of each person. Some of the people made quite the name for themselves at our local police department. The 6 kids who stuck out to me were Ryker Berello, Marina Prewett, Carlos Haulder, Katelynn Lee, Jensen Benjamin, Ian Smith. They all had at least one charge of assault, and were in and out of the foster system. They hadn’t been heard from in 8 months and other than their very long rap sheets there was no evidence of them. Their facial symmetry was eerily similar. They all fell under the idea of the golden ratio. The golden ratio is what we all see as conventionally attractive.

All of the men and women had light brown eyes and short brown hair. The more I looked at them the more they looked like me, maybe that’s why they stuck out to me. Hotch printed out photos of them, sticking them onto our only free whiteboard. We had used up all of the space on every other board in the entire BAU and we had only found 2 of the members. This case was starting to get to me. I knew that it was blocking my focus, but I wouldn’t take a break. There was no way I could take a break when we were getting close. At least, it seemed like we were getting close.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty proud of myself for that solider comment.
Comment your thoughts on this chapter !!