Chapter Twelve

“Guys, something about this seems weird to me.” I said.
“What do you mean?” Rossi asked.

“Well, we had a pretty good suspect and then she wasn’t. Now we’ve got a new suspect but it just doesn’t seem that solid. Sure, he bought a sniper gun, but he didn’t buy any other guns and I know his mom didn’t have one, but in the kills that lead me to believe it was Diana, a gun was used, but the bullets were from a pistol.”

“True. The unsub needs to be really intelligent to pull any-”
“Sir, sorry to interrupt, but he just made a new purchase on his card. Like just now.”
“What did he buy?”

“A buttload of nickels.” She said, though it sounded more like a question than an answer.
“He bought nickels?” Hotch questioned.
“Yep. He bought 2 boxes of nickels. Each box was 30 dollars. Then he bought one box of nickels that was 10 dollars.”
“Why would he need to buy that many nickels? Spencer, how many nickels would that be?” Rossi asked.

“If whoever was selling them stuck to how much a nickel is worth then there would be 600 nickels in each box. Then the other box would have 200 nickels in it. So he would’ve bought 1600 nickels in total.” Spencer replied.
“Hey, did Diana buy anything weird?” I asked.
“Let me look.” She replied, her hands moving swiftly across the keyboard. “Uh, yeah actually. Last week she bought 1600 inches of licorice.”
“I'm sorry?”

“Both of our suspects bought weird amounts of weird things. Nickels and licorice.”
“I don’t think they’re buying them. I think our unsub is. 1600 is a pretty specific number, and nobody needs that many nickels or that many inches of licorice.” Morgan stated.
“Plus, Brant is allergic to nickel. And Diana had a huge problem with licorice, she always talked about how bad she hated it.”
“Garcia, check the others for weird purchases.”

She sped off on the keyboard once again, but came out with nothing.

“It’s weird to me. Well, all of this is weird to me, but it’s weirder that our suspects buy weird things the moment they get added to our radars. This might be crazy, but there's no way that they do that by chance. And not to mention the note that got delivered to the police office like 20 seconds after Spencer told me what the other note was referring to.” I said, pulling my sleeve at the unwanted memory.

“You think he or she’s an inside man.”
“They’ve got to be. Unless they have a mic on me, but I think I’d know about that.”

“Guys, I hate thinking about this stuff, but is it possible that he or she got through my computer? I’ve got my firewalls and I’m super good at what I do, but someone could get through if they have enough experience and as long as they don’t mess with anything I would never know. They could be listening through my computer.”

“Shut your computer.” Hotch said, his usual expression rested.

She did as she was told and moved it into her bag that she kept beside her.

“Is there a way to set up something that you could track back to the unsub?”
“Yeah but if they’re actively listening they could shut it down as I’m trying to set it up.”
“I want you to try anyway.”

She nodded, pulling her computer back out of her bag. She began doing whatever it was she did, I always envied Garcia’s knowledge of computers, and shut her computer once she finished.

“Done,”
“Good.” He said, nodding his head in approval toward Garcia. “Jasper, is there anyone who is connected between both Diana and Brant that you know about? The unsub had to know about both of their issues, because those items are too specific to be a coincidence, and so is that amount.”