eighteen: hiding game

I enter the empty house, dropping my bag off at the front door. I shut the door behind me and reach into my pocket pulling out my phone. My legs guide me to my bedroom. I walk inside and shut the door, heading to the bed and sitting down on the edge carefully.

The note Caroline left me stays in my other hand. I haven't let go of it. I haven't even stopped thinking about it.

I open it up and look at the number going into my phone and adding it before texting Caroline.

My two thumbs hover over the screen staring. What the actual crap am I supposed to say? I bite the inside of my cheek and let my mind wonder for a second trying to come up with something. My mind was honestly blanking. How do people do this?

A sigh escapes my lips as I just let my thumbs type and hit send.

Y/n 4:36 p.m. : Hey it's Y/n from the art room.

I toss the phone onto the bed and fall back grabbing a pillow and placing it over my head, immense darkness taking over. I close my eyes and shake my head from side to side before hearing a ding followed by another.

Instantly I shoot up, the pillow falling from my face and onto the floor. I reach over and grab the phone turning it up right to see Caroline texted me. Not once but twice.

Caroline 4:38p.m. : Finally! It took you long enough!

Caroline 4:38p.m: I thought it'd be like 10 minutes tops! Girl, you took 37 minutes exactly! What's up with that?!? 😫😉

My eyes go wide, tilting my head. I'm not used to the whole texting thing, but the movies Andy and I have been watching I know the winky face means something. It's usually used when flirting, no? That's what it seems to appear on tv. Maybe it's just friendly. Either way why would she be keeping track of how long it takes for me to text her?

I bite my bottom lip and hover back over the keyboard.

Y/n 4:40 p.m: I walked home, and I'm not used to texting or having friends.

Instantly there's a text back.

Caroline 4:41 p.m.: Don't even worry about that! I'll have you typing in your sleep!

Another song. My eyes reading them as they come in just now seeing I can see when she's read my texts.

Caroline 4:42 p.m. : And as far as the friend thing goes, you're with me now. And tomorrow, or at some point you're going to meet Tuck and Joey! They're awesome! You and Joey might just be the closest! Hopefully not though! I call dibs!

I tilt my head and squint my eyes. She calls dibs?

Y/n 4:44 p.m. : Dibs?

Caroline 4:46 p.m.: Yessss! On you! Me and you, we're best friends and I'll be jealous if Joey takes you from me 🥹

Caroline 4:46 p.m. : In a totally nonweird way! I just realized we just met and talked for 5 minutes! I hope I'm not freaking you out 😅

I chuckle lightly and shake my head from side to side.

Y/n 4:48 p.m. : You're not freaking me out :)

Caroline 4:48 p.m. : Good! Hey, I'll text you later, I have to help my mom with dinner! :) Chicken Alfredo tonighttt

I smile lightly at the text. I don't respond back. I'm not even sure how. I turn the phone off and set it down to the side as I lay back and realize my pillow had fallen onto the ground. But I stay laid back and letting my eyes fall on the ceiling. Staring. Thinking.