thirty-eight: twists

"You heading to 19?" Sullivan asks as he walks through to the lobby. My eyes were already on his, watching him close the door. My eyes slide from his through the window and shrug.

"Possibly," I say, softly. That's when I see Andy walk out and come into view. But gets stopped by the siren going off. She stops in her tracks. Her head turning and instantly they find me. She goes to walk towards me and I shake my head, holding up my hand, giving a reassuring smile. She gives one back. It's like we could read each other. She tosses her hand up but lets it linger as all the other firefighters run around like crazy. But when her name is called she waves one last time before she's taken off and getting into the fire engine. A low sigh escapes my lips.

"Can I get a ride to station 19?" I ask Sullivan, turning to look at him. He gives a small smile motions for me to come on. He begins to walk out and I follow suit hearing the sirens getting further and further from us. I grab my bag that I had sat down and head out to Sullivan's car. I get in the passenger seat, setting my bag in between my legs as Sullivan gets into the driver seat.

Silence takes over us. It seems to linger longer than usual. Not going to lie it's making me uncomfortable. I mean I get it. I'm not an idiot to what's so obvious. I mean sometimes I am but I know stuff. A lot more than I care to admit at the moment. But now seems like a perfect movement since it's a bit of a drive to bring up what I know, what I think and what I want to know.

"You kissed Andy," I say, flatly. I saw it. I snuck over to where they were. You'd think they'd shut the door when they're doing meetings like that. Shaking my head.

"Wh-What?" The man stumbles. My head turns towards him, seeing his eyes wide but on the road. Both hands on the steering wheel now. I clench my jaw, watching his facial expressions.

"Before you left that room. You cornered her and then kissed her..." I let my voice trail. He couldn't deny it. It's what happened.

"Y/n, you weren't supposed to-"

"See it? Hear you two? Last time you two talked, it wasn't good. And to be honest this time didn't sound like the best either. Kissing her isn't going to make her love you," I say, cutting him off not even know why. I shouldn't have cut him off. I shouldn't be saying the things I'm saying. But here I am. "It's okay though. Not everyone is going to love you in life. A lot of people will hurt you."

"Y/n..." His voice trails and I turn my head away. My eyes glance into my hands. My fingers mess at the skin around my nail. I bite on my bottom lip, uncomfortably. Memories and pain fill my head, but I push them away shrugging.

"Diana says life is full of pain but also happiness. Someone will come around. But you and Andy just aren't meant to be even if you want it to be."

The car comes to a stop. I pick up my head and see we're at station 19. I unbuckle my seatbelt and grab my bag but not before feeling Sullivan reach over grabbing my arm, stopping me. I tense and jump. His hand withdraws immediately causing me to turn my head towards him. Our eyes meeting and for the first time I've really seen that heartbroken look in a man's eyes. I tilt my head and he forces a smile.

"You're a good kid, Y/n," he whispers. His heartbroken brown eyes looking back and forth between mine. "Despite how I was towards you before, know that if there's anything you ever need or want I'm here. You're a part of the station 19 family. We help and we protect this family even if I didn't get it at first."

I give a small smile and he nods. His eyes slowly tearing from mine as he looks towards the station. "You got a visitor." I turn my head, following his gaze and seeing Caroline talking with Jack. My eyes go wide and I look at Sullivan. He nods, giving a slight smile. I say nothing only nod and exit from the car. I shut the door, swinging my bag over my shoulder.