Ghosts Are No Concern

He was not expecting you. 

He'd thought this many times when you'd continued to surprise him. You often brought a mischievous smirk to his face with your actions. 

You and C/n worked as tour guides at one of the most haunted locations in your area. It was also known as one of the largest prisons in existence. You enjoyed your job, it was laid back most of the time, aside from when nuisance teens or loudmouth skeptics came through. 

And you loved the paranormal, so you thought it a win-win. Working next to C/n, however, could be less than desirable at times. He got on your nerves more often than not. Whether that be because he too was a skeptic, that you saw him every day, or that most of your waking thoughts were about him, you hadn't deciphered yet. 

"The prison was established during a rampant virus spread, meaning there were plenty of deaths and after so long, they decided there was no better place to risk haunting than the prison where terrible people were resident." You stopped in front of the entrance to the catacombs where tours were not allowed unless they were willing to pay more and sign far too much paperwork. It usually worked as a deterrent.
"Mostly terrible people," C/n argued. 

"Have either of you had any strange experiences here?" Someone questioned. 
"Aside from working with him, sure, plenty." You nod, and the medium group laughs at your joke. 

"And you?" The same person turned to C/n. 

"Not one." He shakes his head. "But I barely believe in unicorns let alone ghosts." He comments with a sly smile before moving along. 

When the group had been shown through and the two of you were done for the day, you picked up your flashlight as you did most days and started towards the catacombs. Most people were smart enough not to enter them by choice. That was the whole point of the deterrent. 

"Off on another hopeless adventure to find the paranormal?" C/n taunts, striding by your side. His legs were so much longer than yours, he was matching your pace but you still felt the need to speed up.

"Yes. Not hopeless. Have already experienced things. Go away." You respond. He chuckles. 

"When are you going to get bored of the catacombs, I do wish to stop venturing down there. Getting lost is inevitable." He sighs. 
"When are you going to realize that I have never once asked you to come with me, in fact, I would prefer it if you didn't." Your fuse was getting shorter and shorter. He'd been a pain in the butt from day one. 

Every time you'd gone for your lunch break or after-work fun, he'd been right at your side. Hands clasped behind his back, he watched with such amusement, it pissed you off. You walk down the crumbling stairs, your flashlight now the only light that you have to guide you. 

"You know, anything could happen to you down here?" His voice slows, dripping his words. 
"Yes, you've already mentioned the possibility of getting lost and I suppose injury would be quite possible." You retort as you move swiftly into the stomach of the maze. 

"That's not what I meant." His smirk told you he was up to something. 

If you had not been down here so many times, you would be lost by now. 

There wasn't anything about this trip to cause concern until you returned to the entrance. You were ready to go home after this minor amount of time in an enclosed space with C/n. It was as you tried to exit that you found... you couldn't. 

The door had closed and locked. 
"Great." You huffed. 

"It's fine." He didn't even inspect the door closer. "They'll come and open the door in the morning, until then, much to your displeasure, we're stuck." 
"My displeasure indeed." You groaned, rising to your feet again. "I'm going back in." You said, giving him little choice in the matter. 
"I don't think that's a good idea." He admits. "We should stay by the door until morning." 
"You do that, it will be a peaceful night for me." 
"Anything could happen to you down here." 
"You said that already. I'll be careful if you're oh so worried." Your remark drips with sarcasm. "At least if I die by ghost, you'll finally have the proof right?" You snickered. 

With a yelp, you're pressed against the wall, an arm spanning across your chest, pinning you in place, and the other hovering over your head. With an angled head and dark grin, C/n's eyes flickered wide as a villain's does. 

"Ghosts are no concern of mine." His voice scrapes against his throat. 

C/n's eyes were completely black. 

~

Ok, so I did fully go into this one wanting it to be a two-parter. For a moment I thought I wasn't going to have enough words to make the split... but here we are. I'm so looking forward to part two!

Thank you for reading, it means the world. 

See you in the next part, 

I hope your day/night is well... everything you could want it to be.

~Brei