The Unyielding Heart - Bhargav

It was dinner time and everyone at Bhargav's home were deep in thought. The topic on everyone's mind was Bhargav's marriage – a subject that had been gently simmering in the background, now brought to the forefront by his grandparents and parents. Lakshmi Ajji was deep in thought, her eyes reflecting a mix of concern and hope. Beside her, Bhargav's grandfather, shared a knowing look with her. They had seen Bhargav grow from a bright-eyed boy into a formidable man, and now they yearned to see him find happiness in companionship. Krishna and Radha, Bhargav's parents, joined the conversation, bringing with them a sense of urgency. "Bhargav is not getting any younger," Radha began, her voice laced with maternal worry. "He has everything – success, respect, and a kind heart. It's time he thought about settling down." Krishna nodded in agreement. "Yes, and considering his past, he needs someone who understands him and stands by him. It's not just about companionship; it's about finding a partner who complements him. Let me talk to him" The discussion gained momentum, with each member expressing their thoughts and concerns. They all agreed on one thing – Bhargav's reluctance to marry was a wall that needed to be quickly breached.

As fate would have it, Bhargav walked in at the peak of their discussion, returning from a long day at work. His entry was met with a pause in conversation, as if the air itself held its breath. Sensing the gravity of the moment, Bhargav took a seat, his gaze meeting each of theirs in turn. "Bhargav," Lakshmi Ajji started, her tone gentle but with an underlying firmness, "we've been discussing something important – your future. It's our collective belief that the time has come for you to think about marriage." Bhargav's brow furrowed slightly, maintaining a composed yet steadfast stance. "Ajji, while I appreciate your concern, I'm not prepared for marriage at this moment. The dark shadows of my past is still very much a part of me. It's a decision that impacts not only me but also another person's life significantly. I don't want to even think of marriage right now." He hoped this response would soften the blow of an outright refusal to marry, without making any concrete promises.

His family exchanged glances, their expression ranging from understanding to frustration. They knew the wounds left by his previous engagement had not quite healed. Narasimha, always the voice of wisdom, spoke up. "Bhargav, we understand your hesitation, but life is about moving forward. You can't let one unfortunate experience dictate your future." Bhargav listened, his gaze drifting to a family portrait on the wall – a reminder of the love and bond they shared. "I need more time," he said quietly, "I cannot promise anything now." Narasimha understood Bhargav very well. He did not give up. He continued, "We have decided that it is best for you to get married before your 36th birthday. We have seen you struggle with the idea of marriage and love, and we believe this is the right step forward." Bhargav's expression turned from surprise to concern. "Tatha, I appreciate your concern, but I don't think I'm ready for this step. I don't think I ever will be" But his grandparents were resolute. "We have seen life more than you have, Bhargav. Sometimes, we need to step outside our comfort zone for the right reasons. We have already begun looking for suitable matches," Lakshmi Ajji added gently.

The weight of his family's expectations bore heavily on Bhargav. He respected and valued their opinions, but the thought of a marriage, especially so suddenly, was overwhelming. Seeing his hesitation, Narasimha spoke, "Bhargav, give it a chance. Meet the prospects we have in mind. You don't have to decide immediately, but at least be open to the possibility." Torn between his own apprehension and the unable to convince his family, Bhargav finally nodded in acquiescence. "I will meet them, but I can't promise anything beyond that," he said, his voice a mix of reluctance and acceptance. As the evening faded into night, Bhargav found peace and calm on his balcony, gazing out over the twinkling lights of Bengaluru's skyline. The idea of an arranged marriage was a major shift from the life he had carefully built. Alone in the quiet night, he thought about the path his grandparents had set for him and wondered how he could navigate these meetings while keeping his desire to stay single.

Author's Note: Follow me on Instagram @romance_unleashed for the latest updates, sneak peeks, and to stay connected!