An Unknown Encounter

In the Kulkarni household, the atmosphere was tinged with a mix of frustration and concern. Bhargav's continuous rejection of potential brides had left the family at their wits' end. The situation called for a different approach, a divine intervention, perhaps. It was Lakshmi Ajji who voiced this sentiment. "Why don't we visit our kula devata at the temple in Devarayana Durga?" she suggested. "It's been almost a year since we last went there. We can seek blessings for Bhargav's married life. Once he is married, as a gesture of our gratitude, the couple can offer a rathotsav to the deity." The idea was met with unanimous approval. The sacred temple nestled in the heart of Devarayana Durga hills had always been more than a religious site for their family; it was a place of solace and introspection.

Below is the picture of the actual hills of devarayana durga cliff.

The prospect of the visit seemed to lift everyone's spirits, especially Bhargav and his brother Raghav

The prospect of the visit seemed to lift everyone's spirits, especially Bhargav and his brother Raghav. The temple, with its tranquil surroundings and spiritual ambiance, had been their sanctuary since their teenage years. Whenever they sought peace of mind or clarity, the serene hills of Devarayana Durga were their refuge. Located a mere 90 minutes' drive from Bengaluru, the temple was comfortably within reach, yet it felt worlds away from the hustle and bustle of city life. The brothers had made countless trips there, each visit offering them a chance to disconnect from the outside world and reconnect with their inner selves.

As the family made preparations for the visit, a sense of anticipation filled the air. For Bhargav, this pilgrimage was not just about fulfilling a family tradition; it was an opportunity to seek guidance and perhaps find the clarity he had been yearning for. The day of the trip dawned clear and bright. The family set off early in the morning, the familiar road to Devarayana Durga hills unraveling before them. As they approached their destination, the urban landscape gave way to lush greenery and the air grew fresher, carrying with it a promise of renewal.Reaching the temple, the family engaged in heartfelt prayers, each member seeking blessings according to their own desires. For Bhargav, standing in the serene precincts of the temple, the turmoil of the matrimonial meetings seemed to fade away, replaced by a sense of calm determination.

After the puja, the family spent some time exploring the surrounding area, basking in the natural beauty of the hills. Bhargav and Raghav, rekindling their childhood memories, led the family to their favorite spots, sharing stories and laughter. While the family decided to rest in the temple courtyard, Bhargav and Raghav decided to climb on top of the cliff which was their favorite spot as it was secluded and provided amazing views of the surrounding villages. Climbing the rugged path, the brothers engaged in light-hearted banter, a welcome change from the weighty discussions of marriage that had dominated recent family gatherings. Reaching the top, they were greeted by a breathtaking view of lush green forests and distant hills under the wide, open sky.

Raghav nudged Bhargav playfully, "Anna, remember how we used to race up here to see who'd touch that old mantap (pavillion) first?" Bhargav chuckled, "How could I forget? You always cheated by taking a shortcut!" The laughter that followed was free and unburdened, a stark contrast to the reserved demeanor Bhargav had adopted of late. Settling on a large rock, the brothers took a moment to soak in the tranquility around them. Raghav, looking thoughtfully at Bhargav, asked, "You seem more at peace here, anna (brother). Is everything really okay with all these marriage talks?" Bhargav sighed, his gaze fixed on the horizon. "I don't know, Raghav. It's all so overwhelming. But being here, it's like I can breathe again, think clearly without the pressure." Raghav nodded understandingly, "This place always had a way of putting things into perspective for us." They spent the next few hours talking – sometimes about Bhargav's apprehensions, sometimes reminiscing about their childhood adventures, and at other times simply enjoying the silence, comforted by each other's presence. Once they were ready to leave, Raghav placed a reassuring hand on Bhargav's shoulder. "Anna, no matter what, I'm here for you. We'll face whatever comes together, just like we always have." Bhargav looked at his brother, gratitude shining in his eyes. "Thanks, Raghav. That means more than you know." The brothers descended the hill, their laughter and conversations echoing in the air. For Bhargav, the day wasn't just a religious visit to the temple of his favorite god Narasimha; it was a return to his roots and the bond with his brother, reminding him that some things in life remain simple and true.

The day at Devarayana Durga was drawing to a close, with their family settled in their car, ready for the journey back home. Bhargav, however, had a sudden realization – his wallet was missing. He remembered having it when they climbed up the cliff earlier that day. "Wait here for a bit," Bhargav told his family, a hint of urgency in his voice. "I think I dropped my wallet up there. I'll be quick." He retraced his steps, his mind focused on finding his wallet, hoping it hadn't fallen into the wrong hands. The path, less traveled by devotees, led him further up the cliff, away from the temple. His search soon bore fruit as he found his wallet lying atop a rock, seemingly untouched. Relief washed over him as he quickly pocketed it and began his descent, his pace brisk, not wanting to keep his family waiting.

As he was descending, the unexpected scent of jasmine wafted through the air, momentarily distracting him. It was then that he heard it – a soothing, melodious voice, full of encouragement. "You can do it, Ajji. I'll help you with your bag and support you up the stairs. Don't give up." said the voice, gentle yet confident. Curiosity piqued, Bhargav turned towards the source of the voice. His eyes landed on a young woman with an impressively long and thick braid, the length of her hair which he hadn't ever seen. She was assisting an elderly lady up the stairs with a patience and kindness that was rare. Bhargav watched for a moment, struck by the young woman's selflessness. He saw her expertly balance the old lady's bag while offering a steady arm for support. Assured that they were managing well, he turned back to go back to his family. As he hurried down, Bhargav's thoughts lingered on the girl with the jasmine scent and the long braid. "Such selfless kindness," he mused, "and that braid, it's like a relic from a bygone era." 

Upon rejoining his family, Bhargav was more introspective than usual, lost in his reflections. The brief encounter had unexpectedly etched itself in his memory. Amidst a day marked by prayers and familial bonding, it was this fleeting interaction that captured his attention, leaving him with a mix of wonder and a quietly stirring restlessness. Just as these thoughts swirled in his mind, an urgent call regarding a meeting overseas came as a diversion. Preparing for an early departure the next morning, Bhargav informed his family, finding unexpected relief in the timing. The upcoming two-week break from the ongoing matchmaking attempts at home was a welcome relief. Secretly, he considered this as an immediate answer to his prayers to Lord Narasimha who had always answered his prayers. With a sense of ease and a heart unburdened by immediate familial expectations, he bid his family goodbye, ready for the international commitment.

Unknown to Bhargav, this journey would mark the beginning of a significant transformation. As he stepped out, unaware of the profound changes awaiting him upon his return, his life was on the brink of taking a dramatic 180-degree turn. The matchmaking concerns that preoccupied his family, and by extension him, were about to become remnants of the past. Little did he know, Lord Narasimha had decided to bless him in a different and far more profound way, charting a new course for the entirety of his life.

Author's Notes:

What plans do you think Lord Narasimha has for Bhargav?

Follow me on Instagram @romance_unleashed for the latest updates, sneak peeks, and to stay connected!