The Shopping Spree

The Kulkarni household was filled with anticipation and excitement, with everyone gearing up for the flurry of wedding preparations. Despite Bhargav's doubts, the family insisted that he take part in all the rituals and pujas, stressing the importance of honoring the gods. Reluctantly, Bhargav agreed, though not without an internal vow to have a word with his favored deity, Lakshmi Narasimha, for the unexpected twist in his life's path. Following the haldi ceremony and Ganesh puja, the family planned a shopping expedition for the wedding essentials. Radha considered inviting Sanju to join them, hoping for a bonding opportunity. However, Bhargav's immediate refusal — stating he wouldn't join them if Sanju attended — led to an immediate change of plans. Resolving to focus on shopping for the groom and their family that day, they postponed shopping for the bride to the following day. Accompanied by Ragini, Vijay, and their children, everyone embarked on their shopping spree, indulging in the joy of selecting luxurious items. They completed shopping for dresses. The atmosphere was one of pure delight as they visited jewelers, with Lakshmi and Radha picking out pieces for themselves, and even choosing some for Ragini. When it came to selecting jewelry for Sanju, Bhargav interjected, advising them against purchasing multiple sets of necklaces, bangles, earrings, and rings. Despite the initial scolding from his parents, he argued, "From what I've understood, she's a simple girl. She might not appreciate such elaborate or excessive jewelry." Internally, he smirked, seeing it as a victory in preventing Sanju from 'benefiting' from his family's wealth. The family, after a moment's consideration, sided with Bhargav, even playfully teasing him for his sudden insight into Sanju's preferences. Radha conceded that Bhargav might have a point, suggesting they wait to see what Sanju herself prefers the next day.

Raghav, seizing an opportunity to tease, chimed in with a grin, "Oh, look at anna! Suddenly he's an expert on what vaini (brother's wife) likes. Tell us, when did you two have this heart-to-heart?" Radha joined in, her eyes twinkling with amusement, "Yes, Bhargav, I didn't know you had such a keen insight into your would be wife's preferences. Maybe you should consider a career in bridal consulting!" Bhargav, trying to maintain his composure amidst the teasing, retorted, "Very funny. I'm just saying, we don't want to overwhelm her with extravagance. That's all." Lakshmi, not missing a beat, added, "Well, if Bhargav is so concerned about not overwhelming Sanju, maybe he's already more considerate of her than we realized. It sounds like the makings of a perfect husband to me!" Bhargav, now could only shake his head and smile, realizing there was no winning against his family's playful banter. "Alright, alright, you've had your fun. Let's just focus on completing shopping. I have lots of work to do and places to be." he conceded, secretly appreciating the light-hearted moment amidst his internal turmoil. The family's laughter echoed through the store, a momentary relief from the wedding preparations, bringing them all closer together in anticipation of the new bond forming between Bhargav and Sanju. Exhausted yet content from a day filled with shopping and a family dinner out, they returned home, their spirits high. Despite Bhargav's underlying skepticism, the family moved forward, united in their preparations, yet unaware of the depth of Bhargav's misconceptions about Sanju.

The next morning brought an unexpected invitation for Sanju. Lakshmi called, warmly urging her to join them for a day of shopping. Despite Sanju's hesitations, insisting they choose without her, the family was adamant. This day, it would be a ladies' outing. They picked up a reluctant Sanju, ready to dive into a world unfamiliar to her. Their first stop was a series of high-end stores for sarees and dresses suitable for the wedding and other occasions. Sanju, unaccustomed to such extravagance, found herself withdrawing, the price tags preventing her from making any selections. She felt a deep unease, not wanting to add to the financial burden she believed she was already placing on the family. Additionally, the idea of spending so much money on just one dress was completely foreign and made her extremely uncomfortable. Noticing Sanju's reticence, Radha swiftly concocted a plan with the shop owner. She whispered instructions to remove the original price tags and replace them with tags showing prices under 5k. Presented with these "affordable" options, Sanju allowed herself to explore, finally picking out a few sarees she genuinely liked, leaving the final choice to Lakshmi. When Radha instructed the staff to pack everything Sanju had selected, the young bride-to-be was taken aback. "Dr. Madam, we really don't need all these. I already have enough sarees," Sanju protested softly. Radha, feigning surprise at the formal address, corrected her gently, "What's this Dr. Madam? Call me amma. We need these sarees for the various rituals. It's customary for us to gift these to you." Overwhelmed by the affectionate title and Radha's warmth, Sanju embraced her, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I've never had the chance to call anyone amma," she confessed, her voice choked with emotion. This moment of maternal connection meant more to her than any shopping spree could. This had all the three ladies in tears.  Once they complete saree shopping, they take her for dress shopping. They are surprised that she has never worn even salwars and that she has been wearing half saree to work. Knowing that work environment can lead to bullying, they take her to get some comfortable kurti's and other indian office wear. Keeping in mind her unfamiliarity with anything but half sarees, the family took extra care, ensuring she felt comfortable and confident in her new wardrobe. 

Dress shopping was followed by a visit to the jewelry store. There, Sanju mistakenly assumed she was helping select items for Radha, Lakshmi, and Ragini. When urged to try on a necklace, her confusion turned to shock as she realized the selections were for her. "Just the mangalya, amma, that's all I need," she pleaded, aware of the costs. Radha, firm yet loving, silenced any further protests from Sanju, "No arguing, Sanju. I'm your amma now, and you'll listen to me." Radha orders all the sets that Sanju liked without any hesitation. With the day's shopping nearing its end, Radha and Lakshmi planned their next steps. Lakshmi would take Sanju back, allowing Radha and Ragini to finalize the blouse designs and select a special saree for Sanju's wedding night. Knowing Sanju they knew she would end up selecting the most simple blouse designs. So they ordered extravagant blouses keeping in mind Sanju's comfort. Radha enlisted Ragini's help, sensing Sanju's innocence and need for guidance. They discussed the importance of educating Sanju on personal care and feminine products. As Sanju returned to the orphanage with Lakshmi, her heart was full, not just with the day's substantial shopping, but with the love and acceptance she had found in her new family. Returning home with bags full of the day's treasures, the excitement among the ladies was infectious. They were eager to share the fruits of their shopping spree with the men of the house, each item handpicked with love and anticipation for the upcoming wedding.

As Radha began unveiling the jewelry, her voice was filled with pride as she recounted Sanju's modest request at the store. "Sanju only asked for a mangalya, but look, we ended up packing everything she liked," Radha explained, laying out the exquisite pieces before her father-in-law, husband, and Raghav, declaring, "These are all the pieces Sanju admired." It was precisely at that moment that Bhargav walked in, his arrival timed with Radha's enthusiastic showcasing. The mention of jewelry and Sanju's preferences only served to reinforce his unfounded beliefs about her character. His mind raced with judgment, silently branding Sanju as a first-rate gold digger who pretended to be innocent and naive while manipulating others into buying things for her. He silently vowed to make sure she would 'earn her keep' within the family. Compelled to understand more about Sanju, Bhargav reached out to Vijay, seeking insights into her background. Vijay, sensing Bhargav's underlying skepticism, decided to tread carefully. He teased Bhargav initially, then shared, "She's currently pursuing a computer course." Choosing to withhold the fact that Sanju was employed at their company, Vijay aimed to protect the delicate balance of the situation. He was well aware of Bhargav's complex emotions regarding the marriage and wanted to prevent any premature confrontation that could jeopardize the wedding. The gap between perception and reality widens, with Bhargav's misconceptions about Sanju taking a firmer hold. Despite the family's genuine affection and excitement for their wedding, Bhargav's resolve hardens making the future challenging.

Author's Note: What do you think of Bhargav's misunderstanding?

Follow me on Instagram @romance_unleashed for the latest updates, sneak peeks, and to stay connected!