Chapter 08

The german police department - PART II

After carrying out the necessary investigations, the group led by Ulrich went to the camp along with the U.S. agents. The forest at night was expected to be a more oppressive environment, although being surrounded by a group of more than twenty officers gave them the opportunity to face the situation with more courage. The group's camp, known as GSG-9, was situated in a section a little further away from the town in the middle of what was known to them as "the forest of doom". Some armed and well-protected police officers could be seen securing the chosen perimeter, which gave a certain air of calmness different from what had been experienced so far.

Ulrich and Chris took the American officers with one of the group's female officers, with a somewhat freckle-faced face, though a peculiar attractiveness of the young women from the region, brown hair pulled back in a braid; her task apparently consisted in attending to the wounded officers. Also, the group that had invaded the town to accomplish the rescue handed her the dark blood samples; she asked to leave them on her workbench. Liz could tell that Bernard, despite his wounded arm, was staring at her, until her moment was interrupted by Ulrich who stepped forward to introduce them.

"Hi, Steffanie" Ulrich turned to the agent who immediately answered his call "Ich hoffe, du bist mit deiner Arbeit nicht überlastet, denn unser Freund hier könnte deine Hilfe brauchen (I hope you are not overworked, because our friend here might need your help)" Bernard, despite not catching a single word, understood that the commando captain was asking that girl if she could take care of him; she answered with a slight smile telling him to place himself on the stretcher with a glance. A puzzled Bernard followed the instructions; he kept looking at the German agent, who, after checking a medical kid, came to them with some wet cloths and a flask of alcohol.

The agent removed the bandage made by Ulrich and checked the wolf bite marks that had gone through much of his brown skin almost to the point of tearing it.

Meine Güte, was ist denn hier passiert? (For God's sake, what happened here?) exclaimed the shocked woman at the sight of Bernard's arm.

Chris summarized all the information to the doctor; it was extremely uncomfortable for Liz when the agents spoke German in her presence, but she recognized that she was in another country and had to live with it. The agent began to rub a cloth over the wound and turned to Bernard.

"Tut es dir weh, wenn ich hier drücke," said the girl, who had not realized that Bernard did not understand her until she saw the facial gestures that suggested it. "O excuse me, I forgot that you cannot understand me, I was asking you if it hurts when I put pressure on you here," the agent spoke fluent English with a slight German accent and looked Bernard in the eyes, who, a little lost, only nodded.

"You are agent Lenz, right? Ulrich told me about you," Liz asked the officer with a bit of curiosity.

"Indeed" she answered "Although I guess we already know each other, so you can just call me Steffi" the agent told her after taking a small sample of blood.

"Well, being so you can call me Liz and the one you are attending is my partner and best friend, Bernard" After the introduction, Bernard shook hands with Steffi who was still treating the wound "Do you think these things can generate some kind of...."

"Infections, they happen with any wound that is not treated on time - mentioned Steffi anticipating what Liz was going to" So far we are not sure if we are talking about some kind of virus or things like that. You know, another fellow was attacked by one of those wolves, but I don't think that's what's causing the strange behavior of these people, nor the pallor or the sores spreading this way, however, I have asked for the blood samples of the fallen villagers. There is something about it that at first glance does not add up to me; if I were not a serious person I would say that it has a high degree of putrefaction, and I am curious how someone can have blood like this in life.