Chapter 07

The german police department

It was hard to imagine how many hellish secrets such a place had to unveil in so short a time. Liz, who was looking forward to the opportunity to prove herself as a qualified agent with her brother Rick, hadn't had to struggle with her emotions in such a way so far. The two officers were pointing their rifles at them, as part of security protocol.

Bernard was holding his injured arm with the wolf bite, while Liz, still trying to soothe her friend, addressed the anti-terrorist officers.

"You couldn't have arrived at a better time" thanked Liz with euphoria; the two men understood that for the moment they had no reason to keep aiming at them, they tied a rope to one of the beams of the place that they used to climb down and give the American agents the relevant assistance.

The man with the beard and beret moved closer to Bernard to check his condition, while the other, stockier agent joined them to provide aid. Liz took a short moment to observe the lifeless, inert body of the two vicious wolves under a thick pool of dark red blood; undoubtedly one of the factors that most caught her attention. The two German agents wrapped up Bernard's bandages and turned to Liz.

"Well," started the bearded man, " at least with that we'll stop the bleeding, in our camp we'll be able to give you a better treatment," he kept on with a notorious German accent in all his words, "However, I've noticed that you are not from here, so I'd like you to tell me who you are and why did you come here.

In response to the polite way of asking, Liz answered very happy to know that someone had come to her aid in a difficult moment, she did not know if it was the work of her brother or someone else.

"My name is Elizabeth Sharrow and I'm an agent of the United States government, we are here to investigate about disappeared people linked to this sector" she answered knowing that it would not be a good idea to hide her identity from them.

The German agents questioned each other a bit to which he immediately responded by showing his DPFD agent credentials.

"Well, that changes things a lot," answered the bearded man, " I'm Captain Ulrich Bunde, and I'm in charge of all the investigation in this sector, this is Agent Schreiber, the second lieutenant in command," he said introducing his partner who held out his hand to Liz to introduce himself.

"Nice to meet you, I'm agent Christoph Schreiber, although it's better if you just call me Chris- answered the other man" And who is your friend?

"Agent Bernard Abu-Jamal," replied the man, smiling at Chris as a token of appreciation for the care he had taken with him.

-Pleased, -Chris answered him -With those you will be able to get out of here, but if you join us at the camp, agent Lenz can treat that wound better, she is an excellent doctor, you know.

Bernard was delighted that the agents offered them help, as was Liz, even though they had much to discuss with each other, the agents agreed that it would not be convenient to remain within the area where the disturbance had taken place, especially when surrounded by the corpses of those creatures that, even when dead, transmitted that deep feeling of repugnance. Both Liz and the two German agents were able to leave the first floor very easily, although Bernard's condition made the situation more complicated for him. Upstairs were other officers from the police force that had come to take control of the situation, many of them scanning the bodies of the fallen villagers in the gunfire exchange and, to the further curiosity of the observers, taking samples of their blood, which suggested to Liz that she had not been the only one to notice such an anomaly.

"I apologize for doubting you" Ulrich said to the American agents "But no one informed us in advance of your presence in the area and I could not believe at first that the U.S. government had sent only two agents to a place as hostile as this.

"You were not informed because we wanted to keep a low profile in this mission, we did not want our presence to come to light and everything to go down the drain" explained Liz giving details to the agents she assumed she could fully trust"Besides, we wanted to avoid unnecessary losses, as it has happened with....

"No problem, and I understand the situation" replied Ulrich- Those wolves that attacked you .... yesterday mowed down two of our agents, adding to other losses by the hands of creatures we haven't identified yet. Besides, "the police captain paused briefly after staring at Liz and Bernard" the people of this place, if you can call them people, detest Americans and they have their reasons.

"We noticed that," Bernard interjected, still holding his injured arm, "But why exactly?

"It's a long story," Chris explained, encouraging the agent to walk and leave the place. "We'll give you details at the camp, but anyway, I think that with only two people, this is practically a sure date with death.

"There are really three of us," Liz replied, "We are missing our fearless leader, he had the brilliant idea of splitting up," she mentioned, rolling her eyes at the memory of Max.

"Your leader? - asked Ulrich, a little astonished, being once again on the cobblestone streets of the town, already completely covered by the darkness of the night "Is it a Max... Allen?

"Yes," replied the girl a little excited, "we were supposed to meet him shortly before all this happened, but we lost communication with him. Now he is the only one who can call for reinforcements to our headquarters, which is a few miles away from here and is keeping an eye on the situation.

"Well, that being the case I guess the man was telling the truth," Chris added, making it clear that they had already encountered their leader, "You see, we believe that the hatred towards Americans is based on some looting that took place in this area by U.S. mercenaries. Our alpha team surprised your leader a few meters from here with some rather compromising material. Although, the man insisted, "in a supremely rude way according to my colleagues", that he was innocent and was part of his investigation- Chris made a short pause showing a rather thoughtful face- At the moment he is being held in the camp, Captain Bunde and I were going to question him, then we heard all this commotion around this area of the town and that's how fortunately we found you.

"That's what I say," answered Bernard very happily, "If we hadn't, we would be in the teeth of those wolves right now, what is wrong with these people?

"We don't know that" replied Ulrich- But we have found some clues, come with us, at least we will all be better off there, we will tell you everything in more detail and in turn I will give the order to release your leader.

NEW CHARACTERS