Chapter 55

The power of mind and blood

The elevator had reached the upstairs area, sending them back towards a mostly burgundy hallway over which stretched the catalog of books, most of them in a more contemporary style.

"We made it," Liz gave a sigh of joy that was heightened once she heard the elevator return, she knew only Nick could be responsible. Anika, for her part, was not calm; her anxiety was easily transmitted to Liz, she understood then the fear that the tender girl had managed to awaken among the inhabitants of Reich der Finsternis "hey, what's wrong with you?" asked Liz with a tender voice, although at the same time devoured by anguish, bending down to reassure the girl. She had reached a degree of disturbance that had never been seen in her before.

"The monsters are left behind," she said. Liz knew that because of her condition Anika was not afraid of the beasts "but I feel... something... coming for me" the last sentence she uttered raising her voice, crying and holding back the urge to scream.

Liz drew her pistol, aimed in every visible direction especially at a spot where Anika was pointing her finger while trembling, shaken by some evil force that apparently only she could see. The agent did not understand, until an intense pain in her chest knocked her down, she screamed; everything around her was covered by a gray gloom that progressively turned black; inanimate objects suddenly began to move of their own accord. Liz watched Anika's overwhelmed face, as if she was also witnessing the situation, as well as laughing voices whispering things in her ear while her surroundings became a somber surrealistic painting in which all objects were distorted creating irregular figures.

Seeing, hearing and smelling nothing out of the ordinary, Liz came to think that once again she had lost track of her feelings. Anika was still beside her, also fearful of the infernal fog. Only a light illuminated part of the desolate panorama on a static oak table; on it sat a man in his fifties, dressed in an elegant dark brown jacket and red tie, glasses, brown hair partly gray combed back, but it was his voluminous mustache that stood out most on his face, covering his entire upper lip. The man was reading a book, assuming a posture typical of a person of high society, while in his other hand he carried a smoking pipe that he left on the table.

"Only those who do not understand the capabilities of the mind would succumb to such a rickety demonstration of our gifts" said the mysterious man without taking his eyes off his book, which he slammed shut and placed on the table. His German accent was thick and refined.

Liz looked at him with bewilderment, she had not seen the man coming from anywhere, judging from the state of his skin, she did not consider that he represented any danger to them, although Anika put her hands to her mouth when she looked at him. The man stood up and addressed Liz.

"Who are you," Liz asked, feeling very dizzy. The man smiled subtly and removed something she identified as a Luger brand pistol from his coat. She tried to draw her gun, but her limited energy would not allow her to do so.

"We had not had the honor of meeting, Miss Sharrow" she was not surprised that the man called her by her last name "Herr Dr. Klaus Wilhelm Günther, it is an honor" Liz remembered the name, that mysterious man was the one directly responsible for the disappearances of American citizens and other nationalities, the one who, as he was described, seemed like a normal man "nevertheless, you can refer to me as doctor Günther" the man removed his glasses and looked at Liz carefully, it was then when she felt her heart burn with fire.

"Hör auf damit! (Stop!)" exclaimed Anika tearfully and ran to Liz to hug her "Du tutst ihr weh! (You're hurting her!)" Mr. Günther pointed his gun at Liz and turned to Anika.

"Liebe Anika (dear Anika)" Mr. Günther showed astonishment "Herr Holzmann is so worried about you, I have come to protect you" he smiled at her while threatening Liz "you better come to those who take care of you, you don't want Miss Sharrow's situation to get worse because of you".