Chapter 83

The origin of the rippers

The sight of the Holzmanns and Dr. Günther popping up out of nowhere had already been an unwelcome surprise to the group, now one of their most detestable beasts had emerged from the dastardly storms that raged inexplicably from the windows. The group of rippers continued to swell, while the huge being let out retching-like sounds each time it spawned more of the little beasts.

"Stop the fire," Kira shouted at them, watching as the agents tried to hold back the invasion, "you're just wasting ammunition".

"What's your plan then Robin Hood," asked Jake, turning to his shotgun to take out large numbers of the critters, "stand still and wait for them to eat us alive?"

The rippers came from the abyss, added to them were those that grotesquely sprouted from the body of the abominable presence that shouted incomprehensible phrases with shuddering snores.

Liz was trying to control the beast, shooting with her rifle, at least managing to hold it back for seconds, its entire body was nothing more than a mass of putrefying flesh and dark gelatinous matter. Nick took one of his grenades from his belt while Jake refused to let his guard down, he searched with a disguised gesture of exasperation for the critical point to stop the herd.

"Keep it Nick, that won't be enough," ordered Kira removing a bottle of perfume with other artifacts where the atomizer should be, "I've got a better one".

Kira threw the perfume bottle at the pack of rippers. They expected the bottle to break, however, upon contact with the ground it set off an explosion that covered much of the entrance with a curtain of purple smoke, the smell of rotting blood was replaced by heavenly fragrances that managed to burn and kill most of the monsters, while the others who sought to invade the area slowed down and retreated producing shrill screeching noises.

"Well played," Jake celebrated as he caught his breath, his calm didn't last long, behind him, Liz was still struggling to contain the beast.

Nick and Jake opened fire on the tentacle monster, their weapons were becoming less and less efficient against the presence, to the point that it seemed to develop an immunity. The beast extended its arms to deliver its first lethal attack, the wounds on its arms were prominent, but dangerous blades extended from its bones. The attack was against Liz, she managed to evade it with ease by somersaulting; the rage of the monster increased, in the windows the black clouds were painted red, reviving the burning atmosphere of hades. Its tentacles became legs similar to those of a scorpion, it sought to ram the agents to finish them off with a powerful bite.

"Watch out!" Liz shouted as she saw the monster that was now mistaken for a giant spider reconstructed from corpse parts was in pursuit of Jake.

Jake fired at the monster, who had already foreseen the move and slowed down to use two of its limbs for cover. Two loud explosions emanating the scent of flowers burned its putrid skin, Jake knew that his weapon could not have been the cause; he returned to the redhead in green, Kira was the one behind it, using one of her explosive arrows.

The monster could not recover easily, the effect of the explosion burned its skin like sulfuric acid, an unbearable smell that was soon perceived. Parts of his limbs were detached from him, and at the same time the storm that was bursting from the windows was subsiding.

"What is this thing?" Liz asked, still aiming at it, the symptoms of poisoning that the beast was suffering announced its soon end, they were looking for the moment to finish it off. A voice spread through the agitated atmosphere amid the monster's screeching.

"We have already told you several times, Miss Sharrow," again the voice of Günther, the man was nowhere to be found, "we are a whole with time and space, thus our minds and bodies are subject to the greatest changes, and death no longer represents the end, but the beginning of a new cycle. And what you have in front of you is nothing but a representation of that reality".