Chapter 61

The concentration camp

Room 301

In the midst of a cloud of confusion, Anika slowly opened her eyes; the last thing she remembered was Liz's afflicted face suffering from the evils of dark blood while Dr. Günther transported her to a dark section of the Reich der Finsternis library. The situation for her had not changed at all, her initially blurred vision gradually recovered and she found herself in a gloomy, dimly lit room.

"Finally awake, dear Anika," a woman's voice addressed her from the right. She followed her in order to find her. It was a woman in her early forties, blonde, with slicked-back hair, glasses and wearing a white robe.

"What? where am I? ....., who... are you?" asked Anika confused, the woman smiled at her.

"I'm Dr. Brigitte Langenberg," she introduced herself, "I work for Dr. Günther, I'm sure you already know him," Anika nodded, looking unconcerned. Dr. Langenberg stood up and approached her, lifting one of her arms delicately where she had a simple healing, "We have taken a blood sample from you; our studies are on the right track, they suggest that your blood is to some extent compatible with that of the specimens that carry the dark blood, but there are no trace of putrefaction in your skin," the girl remained silent, she did not perceive any trace of contamination in the woman, she was for her an ordinary human.

Anika put her hands to her face and adopted a fetal position on her bed, for days she had perceived a dark force in her search, not knowing exactly what intentions they would have with her. Usually the villagers of Bien and Gumprecht watched her as if she were a specter. She hoped that Liz and Nick would be on her search, though an inner voice revealed to her that she should be patient and that her opportune moment would come soon.

Dr. Langenberg was filling out some forms after reviewing some medical reports. The room was brightly lit; Anika did not seem upset, until she could perceive how a part of her space was distorted generating a gray haze, indicating that something undesirable was getting closer. A man with a doctor's coat and a face of consternation crossed the door, but he was not the source of that evil aura; two soldiers entered the classroom, wearing green uniforms and their faces covered by white masks that only their yellowish pupils revealed. The parts of their bodies that were exposed showed serious malformations, missing limbs and wounds; she knew that behind those white masks were monstrous faces.

"Dr. Larsson," said Dr. Langenberg, "do you have the reports ready?" The man held some perplexed documents while he looked at the doctor and nodded after one of the soldiers pushed him slightly with his rifle, in the girl's opinion, the man was working under pressure. The doctor extended her arm asking for the documents, which she reviewed superficially; she looked at Anika with a faint smile and addressed her again "It seems that the results are increasingly promising" she glanced at Dr. Larsson and spoke in a more authoritative tone "take the girl to her room, she must be ready for the last of the tests, I will talk to Dr. Günther and update him on the situation. This information must reach Reich der Finsternis as soon as possible," she paused briefly as she stood up, "Don't forget, Dr. Larsson, that your daughter is still at the courthouse. We don't want any surprises".

Dr. Langenberg left the doctor's office, and the other doctor and the soldiers grabbed Anika's arm to escort her to her next point of interest. The doctor had taken another turn while the soldiers walked slowly behind her down a dingy, musty gray corridor dimly lit by periodically flickering light bulbs. To the sides, steel doors opened into tiny rooms from which the dreadful wails of beings that could hardly produce any words were emitted. The soldiers did not seem to be able to speak either, only the sound of their breathing could be heard.