Chapter 33

Scaping the forest of damnation

According to the instructions, the courthouse of Reich der Finsternis was located at the end of a road near the queen's cave. From that moment on, they decided to mark that point as one of the places that should not be visited at night, considering that by that time the demons known as the rippers would leave their lair in search of new prey. Liz came to think that this was the explanation for the location of the human remains at the bottom of the well at the beginning of their adventure, a place completely isolated from the sun's radiation.

The agents were on their way to the palace without any words exchanged, a pact they made before taking the horses' reins to pass unnoticed in the area. It was to be expected that the dark secrets of the forest of doom lurked from the sides of the road, where only the shuddering chirp of the crows and some slight movements amidst the leaf litter broke the spectral calm. The presence of the straight trees was so abundant that they could hardly make out one of the horrible beasts approaching them.

The unpaved trail grew wider and wider; the horse traces and wagon tracks were visible on it. Liz was burdened at the thought that the hunters or Holzmann's executioner might surprise them on their horses as they set out on their route, though a soothing air broke through some of her sense of distress as she remembered that perhaps they had already left the perimeter that was ruled by the monstrous abominable being. Though Florian's tales and his references to the woman who called herself the duchess still ruminated in her mind.

With the information provided, Max's search had once again taken on relevance to their dangerous mission. They did not know, however, if the information found in the letter they attributed to Nick about his being held at the palace was reliable.

The ride was kept at a slow pace for a little more than an hour, moments in which Liz and Bernard decided to ignore the sinister aura that extended into the forest, dominated by a kind of grayish mist, to take a sigh and forget what had happened, including the death of young Florian. Liz tried to bring to mind her memories of previous rides around her grandfather's farm; she had never practiced the art of riding in such a hostile environment.

A little over a kilometer towards the end of the road, the silhouette of an elegant building that was presumed to be the court of Reich der Finsternis came into view. Liz was about to urge the horses to speed up; however, a crashing noise arose from a little distance away.

Monstrous screams as of a demon about to be exorcised lingered from behind, as did the steady gait of horses leading a chariot. A sign that a new threat might be coming their way.

"Not again," Bernard wailed, almost losing the reins of his horse, until Chris motioned for him to lower his voice.

"Ruhig (Calm down)," said Chris, speaking quietly, "This is what we're gonna do. We are going to advance faster towards the palace and we will move out of the way; we will let them go ahead and it is best that from now on we continue on foot so as not to be noticed.

The agents left their horses and slapped them so that they plunged into the gray mist that covered the cold, dark, greenish forest. In the face of the looming march ahead, they raised their guard and headed for the ostentatious building they marked as their destination. Liz was generally in excellent physical condition and agility, yet the after-effects of her last encounter with Holzmann's executioner still affected her and prevented her from using her full capacity; she hoped that by then her body would be covered in bruises.

The noises from the carriage were spreading with increasing intensity. Liz and Bernard hid among the branches and ballas bushes anticipating that the chariot would pass them by and perhaps guide them to a point where they could enter the courthouse unnoticed.