Chapter 23

The green warrior

Liz guessed that this was what Bernard was trying to warn her about. But if she remained locked in the dark chamber, there was no way she could escape the horrible fate that awaited her. In the midst of anguish and strong tachycardia that almost gave her the feeling that her chest would burst, she put the image aside and desperately sought an alternative escape, still in a panic of incalculable proportions.

The heavy footsteps ceased for a short time and then resumed. Liz had been stunned, waiting for the worst to happen, as she tried to trace the direction of the frightening march, praying inwardly that it was not heading her way. Footsteps sounded from the back of the dark chamber, where other shelves held jars of monstrous remains preserved in chemicals. Toward the end of the narrow, uncomfortably dark corridor, something resembling a hallway came into view where a short flash of white light spread out after another of the impetuous movements was heard. Liz knew that this was either the light at the end of the tunnel she was waiting for, or her road to doom.

No matter what was waiting for her at the end of the road, she knew that staying in one place would not put her in a safer position; even in terrible anticipation of what might happen, she hurriedly made her way out of the ghoulish place. As she walked, it was hard to ignore the repulsive images on the bins on the shelves, and the devastating footsteps didn't quite divert attention. At the end, Liz reached a point so narrow that she was unable to traverse without forcing her slide between the walls, which gave her the impression that she would be crushed by them.

"Let's get the hell out of here!" Liz muttered, closing her eyes and feeling the stubborn cobwebs tightly against her face.

At the end of the dark tunnel, she could once again feel the comfort of moving her limbs, though the heavy footsteps could be heard almost right next to her. Liz quickly scanned the area with her lamp, to her surprise it was a relatively small and completely empty room. Despite having identified a possible escape route and completely forgetting the lurking threat, seeing that the cause of death was a gunshot wound gave Liz another indication of Max's presence in the area, for which she knew that a review of the projectiles used was necessary and following that, verifying that these corresponded to those taken at the pharmacy.

Before Liz could even start with the inspection of the horrible inert body of the demonic being, the monstrous footsteps broke the silence of the place again, producing a roar that paralyzed her with terror. As her instincts dictated, the girl took her weapon and made a tour with her flashlight in the area, without spotting anything out of the ordinary or any route by which someone could enter. The footsteps continued and became more and more frequent until they came to a screeching halt. Liz scanned the small room in confusion and terror; an impulse that did not rise to its highest level until the wall of the chamber was broken by a loud bang.

Liz immediately propelled herself to an area where the fallen debris could not hurt her. Shortly after the curtain of dust that had resulted from the destruction faded, she could once again make out the fearsome black silhouette of the being she least wanted to meet. It was Holzmann's executioner, with his representative hate-filled gaze and his desire to obliterate her, carrying an axe in one hand and his sturdy silver sword in the other.

"This must be a fucking joke!" she mumbled in astonishment at the extremely intimidating gaze of the executioner who moved in the middle of the hole in the wall and prepared to strike his first blow.

Her pistol had fallen to the floor; just as she was about to grab it, the abominable man kicked her in the abdominal area, throwing her to the other end of the room.

After Liz let out a loud moan of pain, the executioner raised his axe and launched a lethal attack against her. The girl could barely avoid it by bouncing to the opposite side and putting herself on guard to face an adversary she would hardly stand a chance against. The executioner turned his gaze towards the agent, after he prepared his devastating weapons to make a second attack. The abominable being did not utter a word; only the shuddering sound of his snore-like breathing could be heard, but it was his constant gaze of piercing hatred that was hard to miss. Even in the midst of terrible anguish, Liz shot the man in black without managing to affect him significantly.