Chapter 40

The demon in the bell tower

The agents were shocked by the revelation of how the sect led by Mr. Holzmann operated and how the disappearances they were originally investigating actually happened. They did not know, however, how the entire network that transported prisoners to Reich der Finsternis worked, which would imply that several people, even outside the area labeled as dangerous would be involved in the abominable practices with blood that were promulgated in the Holzmann creed. David Rowland surely had more information about it, but now, he and all the other inmates who resignedly awaited their cruel fateful destinies were without a chance of escape. Liz looked at the locks and thought that together with Bernard they could somehow pick them to release the prisoners, however, they knew that the time it would take would be long enough for the Duchess or one of her children to show up.

They had not had time to see in detail the place they were in and witness how gloomy it was, with its extensive webbed nets and even real human skeletons of those who had died in the dungeons. The condition of the wounded woman who shared a cell with the Swedish lady indicated that this might be her fate.

Liz remained optimistic as she awaited German reinforcements; she thought that Agent Steffi Lenz might be able to provide medical care for the woman with the wound to her breasts, yet they had received no communication confirming that she had survived the attack in which the other squad members lost their lives. Their mission now was to locate Nick, whom they had forgotten about after lingering in conversation with David and the Swedish lady.

"What did Nick wanted with you?" Liz asked David after meditating for a few seconds and studying the perimeter they would have to secure. David took the opportunity to take a breath and relate part of what had happened.

"The Holzmanns are after the chalice," answered the man with his last breath, "We also led the search for the relics that came in the picture of Queen Holzmann, because when Charles Warren found her, only the crown was with her. We got the blue gem later, but it seems that Holzmann got the other two gems and the ring; the goblet is the only one missing, and our research suggests that it is located near the Holzmann castle, at a point that we have not fully figured out.

"Okay, we understand," said Liz delicately questioning the man, "But you haven't answered us, what did you give to Nick?"

"Before this apocalypse, we entered Reich der Finsternis. It was like visiting an Amish community, and we went into the main library. There we cut out some pages from some books we have used to lead several expeditions, and that is what I gave to Mr. Deisler".

It was evident then that Nick was looking for the last of the relics that the Holzmanns were searching for, however Liz still did not give up hope that they had not surprised Chris with the crown, after having put their lives in terrible danger to do so.

"Is he working together with Holzmann," Liz asked, looking him seriously in the eye.

"I don't know," David replied in a tone that indicated he didn't want to be questioned any more about it, "He just found me in the cell, released me and started to threaten me into giving him that information".

"Wait a minute," Liz said, recalling an important fact "How did he get the keys to the dungeons?"

The fact that Nick had the keys to the cells in his possession and had kept them after violently interrogating David, was another reason to suspect his relations with the Holzmann family in his reign of death and horror. Bernard had been skeptical of Nick's letter, but after having analyzed the situation, he preferred not to comment on it.

"I just wanna get out of here," said a man's voice from another of the cells, joined by others who were crying out in desperation. Liz, showing the palms of her hands, asked them to remain calm.