Chapter 06

The man in black

Liz watched in horror at the scene of her friend being strangled. Still not knowing if there was anything she could do for him, she jumped to his aid.

"LET HIM GO!" the girl shouted at him in desperation. To her surprise, the man stopped pressing on Bernard's neck, letting him fall to the ground. Bernard made a great effort to catch his breath as the red in his eyes faded, but not without releasing a few tears of relief. The man slowly turned his gaze to Liz and approached her taking slow but rumbling firm steps.

The girl also stepped back with some fear after recognizing the great disadvantages she would have when facing such a being, although before trying to attack her, he addressed her with an aggressive hoarse voice that did not reflect any feeling other than hatred.

"Who do you think you are to address me that way, you are brave," said the man in black, pointing at her and indicating that he could speak and understand her language, but she, making a great effort not to succumb to his intimidating look, challenged him again.

"He is my partner, and also my best friend," Liz answered him, breathing very subtly. She was not able to organize her thoughts to respond in a way that would not unleash the guy's anger, knowing that it could bring fatal consequences. The man looked at Bernard out of the corner of his eye with great disdain and questioned the situation.

"Did you call that thing your friend and companion?" the man in black went from a murderous look to a face of seriousness " I wouldn't use it to feed my pigs".

"You motherfucker...." After hearing those words, the man stomped hard on Liz's chest, slamming her to the ground in intense pain; she realized she had made a big mistake by not holding back the urge to insult him. No longer feeling the pressure of the man's boots on her diaphragm, the girl sat back down on the floor squeezing her still sore upper abdomen.

"I've had enough of you two, so listen to me once and for all," said the man, raising his hoarse and inhuman voice more and more, "It is clear that you have not come to our village as tourists, so explain clearly, who are you and what the hell brought you here," the man backed up to have within his range of vision the agents, who still had not recovered from his aggressions, "And I recommend you to include a reason for not murdering you.

"We don't have anything that would interest you," Liz replied, avoiding looking the man in the eye; he didn't seem to be entirely happy.

"-What other reason could a couple of Americans have to visit these surroundings, I think so," the man asked himself while from his black clothes he extracted a necklace with a five-pointed star made of some extravagant materials, as if it were an object used in alchemy practices "The Americans only come to our lands to plunder, but we have already made it clear to them what are the powers and scope of our blood".

This last word "our blood" aroused great curiosity in Liz; she came to think that it was a type of blood that united all these people, something that probably referred only to strange alchemy practices.

The man walked away from them, until the most inopportune thing happened so far. Bernard's radio transmitter began to vibrate and emit sounds, catching the attention of both the hunters and the big guy in black. One of the hunters walked up to him and began to check him roughly, finding the object that produced the noise and showing it to the rest of those present. Surprisingly, the being managed to press the button to answer the call, although the man in black immediately snatched it from him to listen more closely to what he had to say.

"Abu-Jamal," Max's voice was heard overhead, "if you're already out of whatever place you're hiding from like the coward you are, I'd appreciate it if you'd get off your fucking ass and keep our appointment at the rendezvous point. Your friend had to come out and get you, you know, that's the bad thing about traveling with babies. Even so, I order you to come, I have found something that might interest us and I remind you that we have a mission to accomplish.... " Before the message was finished, the man smashed the radio transmitter by just clenching his fist, thus interrupting its playback. After throwing the remains aside, he approached the agents, throwing them that heartbreaking look that was displayed in the red of his pupils. Both Liz and Bernard felt that the roof was falling in on them and that they had been exposed.