Chapter 80

The green warrior

In the lowest part of the dark abyss, the sinister voices of paranormal presences were pronounced after receiving Max's body, having been subjected to the transfer of flesh, had marked his cruel destiny that would only end with death.

The tension created by the escape from the claws of the fearsome beast had not given them time to detail the place where they had ended up as a fate of chance, the abyss was enormous, the few noises that flooded the place spread with a ghostly echo; something in Liz's subconscious told her that the strange forces that wandered in the dark place responded to all her actions and movements. Above the unfathomable void, a dirt path that went unnoticed to the visitors' sight led to another end where a light protruded in the middle of a perfectly straight opening, a wall built in elegant tiles with the Holzmanns' pentagram engraved on it. A curious sight, they knew deep down they should investigate it.

The agents had a moment to catch their breath and discuss their next moves.

"Well" Liz sighed after watching Max's end "I think.... We found the entrance to the Holzmanns' lair," Jake smiled at her.

The German officers had been left behind except for Nick. He was trying to reach them on his radio transmitter, Andreas' voice soon answered the call. Liz and Jake were happy to hear that the lieutenant was safe and sound, although his voice was grim, not his characteristic firm tone; something was wrong, Liz thought, a suspicion that was confirmed the moment Nick brought his palm sharply to his forehead, sliding it to his eyes.

"Hey, is everything all right?" Jake asked a bit worriedly, knowing how obvious the answer was. Nick answered shaking his head from side to side and closing his eyes, something was torturing him, he was having trouble getting the devastating message across.

"No," Nick bellowed keeping his eyes closed, "it's officer Fritz," he was referring to Tobias, his distress was transmitted to Liz, "his wounds got worse, he lost a lot of blood".

"Steffi carry a first aid kit" suggested Liz feeling sorry in her soul for what she was hearing, Nick denied in a dissimilar way "maybe between her and Andreas they can give him a transfer, you or even Jake- she didn't volunteer remembering the state of impurity that her blood kept. Nick shook his head again, this time with more strength and tilting his head, the intrigue was growing in Liz" Come on, one of us must be compatible "she expressed extending her arms".

"That's not the point, Sharrow!" he repeated raising his voice, grabbing his semi-automatic rifle abruptly and passing by Liz and Jake who were watching him in surprise "it's too late- he swallowed saliva interrupting his march".

Liz held both hands straightening her back, her feeling of overwhelm was so palpable that Jake held her by the shoulders and she thought she would collapse. She couldn't believe it, seconds after seeing Max fall to his doom, one more person had lost his life practically before her eyes. Among the officers who accompanied her on that mission, Tobias Fritz was perhaps the one with whom Liz had had the least opportunity to empathize, he was perhaps the most reserved of all, even so, she could not help but feel saddened by what had happened; she remembered how he helped her in her relentless fight against the executioner and the punishers in the hydroelectric plant.

"Nick, really I am..." she lamented, watching Nick walk towards the stone path.

"I know Sharrow, and I really appreciate your condolences," he said in a deadpan voice. It was evident that the news was eating him up inside, but it seemed that crying was contrary to his nature "but you remember what I told you. We have to move on".

"Wait," Liz pulled him over, Nick turned around, "What about Andreas and Steffi," Nick closed his eyes, he knew he had to answer the girl.

"Officer Berger is intact, Officer Lenz too, although the news has left her shattered" Nick kept gesturing and clenching his fists over his gun "I heard her crying on the radio transmitter. She was very close to him".