Chapter 64

Entrance to the death factory – PART 2

The way Nick questioned people was not to Liz's liking, although on this occasion she chose not to recriminate the action in the hope that the man had relevant information. She walked over to the officer and the doctor.

"Very well," Liz murmured, remembering the importance of keeping silent and looking the doctor straight in the eyes, "We don't have time for explanations, so we'll be brief. Where do you have the girl?"

"Please, sir and miss," pleaded the doctor, his badge showing the initials Herr. Dr. F. Richter "That information is confidential, if Dr. Günther finds out I'll be dead".

"You will be dead if you don't cooperate" Nick threatened him "not cooperating with justice could bring you serious consequences, worse than what awaits you now".

"No, you don't understand," excused Mr. Richter, "look...."

"We don't have time!" Liz exclaimed mumbling, reproaching the man and pointing her gun at him, she never thought that at some point she would be collaborating with Nick in his interrogations "Where the fuck do you keep the girl, Anika?"

"I don't know if she's there yet, but I'd say they have her in the experimental center, it's the room...."

"Save it!" Nick stopped him, pulling him out of his robe and putting him back in the hallway while pointing his gun at him "You come with us and take us there..."

In response to the officer's threats, the doctor was forced to obey and lead the agents to their destination.

The way was short, between some struggles with the man they reached a room with a wooden door and a sign with the word "Versuchsram (experimentation room)". Nick pushed the doctor towards the entrance.

"Enter quietly and we will do the rest," the officer warned him, Liz was waiting to find Anika in the room.

Dr. Richter turned the doorknob and entered quite naturally; despite Nick's treatment he had managed to remain calm at all times. As he entered, two voices greeted the man.

"Dr. Richter, was machen Sie denn hier (Doctor Richter, what are you doing here?)" a woman's voice asked.

Liz and Nick entered pointing their guns at them, behind the door, a man and a woman raised their hands with a gesture of surprise, neither of them showed traces of putrefaction in their skin or strange behaviors. They were ordinary humans. The room was brightly lit for the most part, with white walls and marble couches scattered throughout; most of them were unoccupied; Liz was disappointed not to find Anika in any of them.

"Aber, was zur Hölle? (But what the hell?) asked the other man".

"Where is the girl?" Liz asked, getting straight to the point.

"Calm down, please, she should have been here a while ago, but since the power outage she got separated from us, we haven't seen her".

Liz raised an eyebrow at the man's statement, trusting someone who worked for Dr. Günther was not an option. Another voice added to the side, it came from the loudspeakers that were placed at different points in the camp out of sight of the people.

„Sehr geehrter meine Damen und Herren (Dear ladies and gentlemen)," it was Dr. Günther's voice, Liz recognized it „Ich bedauere Ihnen mitteilen zu müssen, dass wir die Spur des Waisenkinds von Henoth nachdem Stromausfall verloren haben. Sollten Sie Informationen über das Kind haben, dann wenden Sie sich direkt an uns, Herr Dr. Günther oder Frau Dr. Langenberg. Vielen Dank für ihre Aufmerksamkeit (I regret to inform you that we have lost track of Henoth's orphan since the blackout. Should you have any information about the girl, please contact us directly, Dr. Günther or Dr. Langenberg. Thank you for your attention)".