Chapter 85

The shadows

The image of Anneliese Holzmann's sister was really in front of them, Jake and Nick refused to let their guard down. Liz could understand their reactions, her mind had played tricks on her several times before; however, something deep in her heart told her that the presence was genuine.

"Hey, don't come any closer," Nick warned her, "how do we know this isn't just another damn hallucination," the woman smiled and looked at Liz.

"Those who have known us and have witnessed the power of the blood curse, know what comes from it, and what doesn't" Liz wanted to believe that this celestial image was not another hallucination induced by Günther, she had once heard Bernard say that Satan disguised himself as an angel of light. Amelie approached Liz, she extended her arm towards waiting for her to give her a handshake, Liz obeyed, she was surprised to see that it was not a flesh and blood person, instead, she appreciated a comforting sensation in her hands similar to a balm, she did not want to let the woman go, but she lowered her arm.

"So," Liz whispered, holding her hand to her chest, "are you really Amelie, Amelie Holzmann, but I read the letter from your son, from Helmuth. He mentions that you died thirteen hundred years ago".

"Indeed," nodded the woman, "death is a reality that marks a cycle that every individual on earth must fulfill to maintain the order established by the Most High, something my sister never wanted to understand. Amelie Holzmann died in due time, I am nothing more than a copy of her memories that have remained in this place since the spread of the blood curse, now that you have displaced Günther we can communicate" the agents looked at each other dumbfounded, deep down, hearing such words caused them fear "I knew that Anneliese's reign was not completely over, her soul lived in her inert body; I knew that at some point in history I would have to fulfill my main objective, that is why this place preserves a part of my memory, it is written that life must follow the established natural order. The blood curse goes against this order".

The agents were overcome by uncertainty, Liz studied every corner of the room in search of Günther's memories, all to corroborate that the dark aura that once prevailed in that space had vanished.

"But why?" asked Liz, "This whole place was created by Anneliese to unite everyone by means of the curse".

"You're wrong," answered Amelie's celestial voice, "indeed, Anneliese's alchemy studies pointed to the theory of the union. Whoever received the dark blood was at my sister's entire disposal, because of the connection that existed between her and each individual who had been touched by the curse, but that was nothing more than a resource to fulfill her plan of revenge against those who persecuted her" the woman crossed her hands, her skin was impeccable "It was Friedrich Holzmann who became obsessed with the idea of the reunification of all beings in the same body and soul, after the reunification of the German empire. Anneliese's studies pointed to the use of blood alchemy to manipulate anything, especially the minds of the unwary, but as you know, all this is nothing but black magic, and as such, leads to the corruption of the soul. Animals have no rational mind or soul to manipulate, so the curse has no effect on them other than corruption".

There was a meditative silence in which the agents searched for words to ponder after the overwhelming brainstorming that came to their minds. Liz couldn't resist her curiosity to learn more about the place she was in.

"What exactly is it about this place?"

"Alchemy has been used by various thinkers for generations, Sir Isaac Newton, for example, its uses are very broad," Amelie added, "only Anneliese dared to combine those theories of the elixir of life with the practice of vampirism, very common in the holy Germanic empire at the time. Anneliese's studies went far beyond that" Amelie stretched out her arms, the darkness had now been replaced by radiant flashes of white light "the theories surrounding the philosopher's stone, which is the basis of the dark blood, not only pointed to longevity, but also to the transmutation of matter, one could say that this was precisely the effect it had on the blood. Many thinkers used alchemy to prod-We understand," Jake mused, observing the woman with an unmistakable face of astonishment, "but what does that have to do with this place?