Chapter 63

Entrance to the Death Factory - PART 1

The German agents had managed to infiltrate the area and grant access to several of the members of the police command, taking advantage of the fact that the electrified fence surrounding the area as well as the lights on the watchtowers had stopped working. As Liz had anticipated, there was a backup generator supplying power to the interior.

The entrance to the camp had been cleared, so Liz and the other German officers were able to enter without much trouble. They knew, however, that their exit from the site could be complicated. Contrary to Liz's expectations, most of the camp was in darkness and an oppressive silence in which only the incomprehensible mumbling of creatures with few traces of humanity could be heard. On the perimeter were some dwellings built in brick in a style more characteristic of the period, as well as other blocks on the opposite sides with a less ostentatious facade.

The lights of the watchtowers swept across part of the area; Liz and Nick were hiding behind an old camper as they waited for a signal from Andreas and Tobias to proceed.

"Deisler," Tobias called to Nick from his radio transmitter, before answering he checked the perimeter to make sure no one could hear him.

"I copy you Fritz," answered Nick while Liz remained in her hiding place with her pistol in hand, "what is the status of the area?"

"We have taken possession of the watchtowers, they will be safe as long as the soldiers on the ground don't catch you by surprise".

Liz glanced through the windows of the old camper. Most of the soldiers wore silver and white paste Venetian style masks simulating disturbing expressions of joy and perversity, others of them, however, did not. Their faces had been completely misshapen by macabre experiments, with acid burns, bulging eyes and images of putrefied faces with skin grafts in various sections. They were carrying weapons characteristic of the Second World War and due to their physical condition they were unable to utter a single word.

"Berger, any other news?" Nick asked, surveying the area with a glance.

"We believe that most of the prisoners are in the blocks on the west side of the camp," Andreas added, "We can mobilize the assault team to the center of the camp to take control of the area and escort all the hostages to safety, but we have to be sure that they are being held there".

"Wait," Liz interrupted, "What about Anika? If the Holzmanns want something important from her, it's possible they're holding her somewhere else".

"We've already thought about that," said Andreas, "And that's where you two come in. Judging by the look of the buildings on the east side and the lights on, I would think that all the research points are there, just a few meters from where you are located".

The soldiers walked with firm steps across the field, one of them guarding one of the entrances to the research centers. Liz was quick to identify their nearest entry point, just by pointing at the monster with the silver mask, green uniform and a semi-automatic rifle with a wooden handle. Nick picked up his radio transmitter to address his comrades.

„Berger, wir haben den Eingang gefunden (Berger, we have found the entrance)".

„Versucht lieber, ihn heimlich zu töten, wir dürfen keinen Alarm auslösen (Try to kill him stealthily, we don't want to initiate any alerts)".

Liz had not reached to ask for translation of what Nick had discussed with his companion, when he was already preparing his gun with a silencer. They moved almost crawling towards the point where the soldier was guarding the entrance, his breathing imitated slight infernal shrieks and his arms trembled; the moment the agents stood up, the monstrous being dressed as a soldier altered and pointing his rifle walked steadily towards where they were. Shortly after crossing the corner to meet the agents, Nick grabbed him tightly by the collar of his uniform, kneed him in the stomach and pushed him to the ground, where he and Liz shot each other until they were sure that the creature was already dead.