Chapter 22

Secrets in the morgue

The place was still surrounded by walls. Liz trusted Chris's word. It was, however, a place which none of her companions had divulged much information about.

At the top of the hill, a few meters from a huge gate that described the passage from the death lair to their workspace, stood a large building in a slightly more modern style than those seen in the village. At first glance, it looked like an abandoned hospital, however, some seemingly recent transport elements placed along the path leading towards the mysterious place disproved such an assumption. Indeed, the place was still in use; the early morning hour was the obvious reason for the creepy loneliness, as was the pitiful state of its black façade with rotting wood paneling.

It was to be expected that entering such a place would require a plan; nonetheless, there was nothing restricting access. It was enough to push lightly its wooden door to plunge into total darkness where nothing could be glimpsed except an aged arch that marked the entrance of the place. This changed after Chris illuminated the inside revealing something similar to a psychiatric hospital that exuded a paranormal feeling. The building was large and the only way to investigate the upper floors was by way of a narrow spiral staircase which they approached by taking guard with their guns drawn.

"This is the way to the upper floors, I have a feeling that here we will find more clues about your friend and perhaps about the mission," stated Chris after leaning on the wooden steps of the narrow staircase and lighting their upward course.

"What kind of place is this?" Bernard asked nervously.

"I don't know," replied Chris.

"That's why I brought you here, that's what we have to find out and report. Any clue that might lead us forward in the investigation of Reich der Finsternis and the location of Agent Allen should be taken into consideration."

"Well, that being the case, let's get this over with," exclaimed Liz, being the first to take the initiative to go up to the upper floors.

Climbing that spiral staircase, which required several turns just to reach the second floor, was a daunting experience. Within the imposing darkness that filled the uppermost areas, the sensation of walking up into an inhospitable and dark universe where the unknown reigned supreme was palpable. The current experiences made it clear to the agents what the scope of the mysterious lurking beings were, without yet having any idea whether what had been seen so far was a representation of the actual extremes of their perversity.

The upper floor of such an immense building showed a long corridor with different rusted steel doors with a number engraved on them. The illumination of the area made it possible to see the lack of hygiene of the hellish den where there was a smell of formaldehyde; in the place there was a huge cold that was difficult to believe, even on an early autumn night. The agents could infer that they had crossed the gates of the cemetery morgue, a place with a haunting aura that invited any halfway rational person to leave.

Bernard was not so well wrapped up, unlike Liz who, with her black leather jacket, was better able to cope with the cold temperatures. After a brief tour of the area, a gunshot was heard, which was not preceded by any sound to identify who was behind it.

The officers were instantly on their guard, but not before feeling their blood boil, which immediately created a sharp contrast with the low air temperature. Liz, excitedly waiting for Max to be the causer, briefly beckoned pointing to the right side of the main corridor, making clear her desire to investigate that area.

"I think it came from over there," she said, "I'll go take a look."

"I'll go with you," said Bernard nervously, unable to contain the shivering produced by the spectral cold. Although Chris objected instantly.