Chapter 24

The horses of evil

Liz stood up and stared for a few seconds at the image of her savior within the illumination range of her lamp. She was desperate to know something of that figure and his motives for hanging around the dark morgue in the wee hours of the morning; the mysterious figure showed no interest in engaging her in conversation, grabbed his small machine gun and ran to the hole in the wall to make a dash for it. Liz could see through the hole the silhouette of the forest trees under a night darkness tending to fade.

"WAIT!" Liz shouted to the figure, who was by then already far away from her.

Liz peeked through the holed wall and was surprised to find neither her assistant nor Holzmann's executioner; she knew that the monstrous man was still lurking in the vicinity and was most likely waiting for her somewhere.

Liz considered the possibility that her companions were looking for her; she tried to communicate with them via her radio transmitter until she finally got the device to work.

"Chris here, is everything all right with you?"

"I don't know," she replied, "When I entered the room I lost contact with you, and from then on. ...."

"You don't need to go on," Chris interrupted her, "Bernard and I heard everything. You know, the footsteps echoing throughout the building, and the explosion. But how did you manage to do that?" he asked with astonishment

"I didn't do it, it was... "Liz paused without wanting to tell what happened "Well, I'll tell you as soon as we meet, by the way, what exactly are you up to, tell me that you guys got something important while I was running for my life."

"In our case, the doors also shut at our backs, -Isn't that strange?" Chris asked himself a bit curious and paused, "Anyway, we have been checking several of the corpses and we have realized that all of them have had every last drop of blood extracted from them. The bad thing is that we still don't know what's behind all this. Finally, we managed to open the doors, thinking that you might need help, although I can see that this is no longer the case."

"Don't you believe it," she said, still recovering her lost breath, "This is just beginning, maybe we'll meet out of here.

"We'll go out the front door, do you need us to come and get you?"

"That won't be necessary" She refused- I don't even know how I got here, I would only divert your course, besides, it so happens that an emergency exit has appeared right in front of me- she mentioned looking at the hole in the wall.

After quickly scanning the room and finding nothing but some bookshelves that had been destroyed in the blast, Liz jumped through the hole in the wall, making a pre-move to avoid injury.

The dark blue color of the sky along with the sharper image of the pointed trees in the forest showed that the sun was beginning to rise. Liz felt peace in her soul, although she knew that the end of the night would not determine the end of the nightmare they had fallen into since their entrance to Reich der Finsternis, but would mark the beginning of a new journey full of unimaginable horrifying events that would follow them until their destiny was definitively sealed.

In the wake of all the ideas that fluttered in her mind, Liz decided to keep in constant movement without losing sight of the back area of the morgue where the wall, destroyed in flames, was still visible; she waited in turn for the arrival of her group with deep anxiety.

The constant thought that Holzmann's executioner might be scouring the area in search of her kept her in an inordinate state of agitation. She came to think that her companions had already had an encounter with this individual who could not be labeled with a term other than abomination, yet the fact that she had not heard any gunshots or monstrous footsteps around her was an indication to the contrary. What she could not explain was, where was the frightful being, it was as if the earth had swallowed it in its fall, which would be for her her most longed desire until then after finding her friend and Chris safe and sound; she was still questioning about the figure in the green suit.