Chapter 43

Uncertain destiny

Liz looked at her in terror. Ulrike just smiled with psychopathic gestures showing her teeth with traces of blood.

"You put that gun down, or I'll hit this piece of shit," Ulrike threatened her holding her dagger tightly and brushing the tip over Bernard's neck who trembled as he felt the steel almost piercing his skin. She withdrew her obscene look from Liz and started whispering things in Bernard's ear "you know, I don't understand mom's complaints, actually..." she said in a soft voice, sliding her terribly sharp nails close to the agent's face "I love your skin color" she whispered almost burying a nail in his chin as she delicately lowered the dagger "but I wonder. ..." she continued pausing briefly, while Bernard felt himself fainting and Liz knew the worst was yet to come "what color WILL YOUR GUTS BE?" She finished shouting her last sentence while she abruptly placed her dagger on Bernard's stomach, ready to slice him in front of everyone.

"STOP!" shouted Liz as she hid her weapon and begged the girl not to hurt Bernard. She withdrew the dagger from the agent's stomach, not missing the opportunity to make him suffer.

The moment Liz let her guard down, she felt Chris grab her from behind the arms, leaving her immobilized; Ludwig, only stopped to enjoy the mannerisms of a terrified Bernard, who sighed hastily as he felt the pressure of Ulrike's nails on his throat.

"O, what's the matter, dear," Ulrike asked Bernard, switching to a gentler voice and caressing his cheeks gently, "are you afraid?," she asked feigning concern. Bernard only closed his eyes, he had never felt so defeated before "I asked you,... if you are afraid" she asked once again threatening him with the dagger; Bernard only closed his eyes and lips and nodded, with which Ulrike let out a weak terrifying laugh "Well..., THEN YOU DO WELL!" she went from a soft voice to a frightening shriek. Bernard fell to his knees as he heard Ulrike's screams and felt her dig her claws into his shoulder "BECAUSE WE HATE FORASTS, AND SCUM LIKE YOU SHOULD BE BURIED OUT OF OUR LANDS, IN PIECES."

After the last unrestrained screams of the young psychopath, she slapped Bernard with such force that Liz never imagined she could have. Bernard fell to the floor and got up in pain showing wounds on his face caused by Ulrike's nails.

"Funny, your blood is the same color as everyone else's" she let out her delicate laugh once again sniffing her nails "I love it!" she said throwing the dagger to the ceiling and grabbing it again with her hand.

There was an uncomfortable silence in which Bernard didn't bother to stand up, the wounds on his face were burning. Liz felt Chris's strength pinning her from behind; she thought for a moment that by striking him on the heel she could escape, however, there was still Bernard pinned to the floor. Suddenly, applause sounded from the main gate; Liz turned to see Mr. Holzmann entering the hall with his wife, with an elegant demeanor as always. At that moment, Liz regretted even more that she had not been crushed by the monster in the bell tower.

"What a pleasant surprise!" applauded Mr. Holzmann in a euphoric voice while the duchess followed him at his side without any facial expression to stand out.

Usually, Liz sought to face her adversaries with courage, even when in front of her, the whole Holzmann family had gathered. She had not noticed, however, that behind her, there was a human figure in a burgundy robe ducking his head; it was a muscular man. One of his arms had been replaced by the hairy claw of some beast.

"What exactly surprises you so much?" Liz asked, looking disdainfully at Mr. Holzmann, "'From what I can see, you brought us all this way."

Mr. Holzmann flashed a smile characteristic of a madman and made a gesture to his daughter that she interpreted as an order. Ulrike approached Liz with her dagger in hand, licked her lips with her depraved gestures in which she watched Liz; she interpreted that as the announcement of her death and closed her eyes in resignation. For a moment she felt the pressure under her neck area descending rapidly towards her diaphragm, but when she expected to feel the steel piercing between her breasts, Ulrike grabbed her by the arm to lift the sleeves of her jacket and give her a cut that barely caused her to spasm from the pain. Liz opened her eyes to contemplate the blood gushing down her arm and how Ulrike delicately ran her fingers through the wound and licked them, making a face of pleasure typical of a boy licking a chocolate ice cream.