Chapter 57

The old hydroelectric power plant

Although the escape from Henoth am Hausmännin had been prompt, the journey to the old hydroelectric power station had taken them longer than expected; the path was guided by the only power lines in the area. They knew that entering the Günther concentration camp, where all the missing would be waiting for rescue, required detailed planning. Agents Fritz and Berger had requested an assault team to surround the camp, to infiltrate once the power to the sector was interrupted. More than two hours were required to mobilize the troops and plan the rest of the strategy; they knew therefore that daylight would not stay with them on their mission for long.

Liz walked through the forest towards the power plant in the company of Nick and agents Andreas Berger and Tobias Fritz. Even though it was just over two hours before nightfall, a gray, dense and icy fog covered the area, creating an inhospitable and gloomy atmosphere. Liz felt a strange force calling her away.

"Well" Officer Fritz cleared his throat, "Here we are. Now we're going to repeat everything from the beginning. We have placed an assault team around the concentration camp, we have already located key points to infiltrate" he turned to Liz and Nick "once you cut the power supply in the concentration camp, the group will enter and give us access too".

"Fritz and I will cover you from that point" added agent Berger pointing to a tall building near the lake "we have placed some high caliber sniper rifles in that area, we will keep an eye on you, but only as long as you are within our range of vision".

Nick nodded; although Liz felt more protected listening to Berger's words, she could still perceive a strange aura going after her, a constant and overwhelming feeling of being watched by someone.

"It sounds good," Liz complimented them, "but don't you think that interrupting the entire power supply would be easier than trying to cut the line to the concentration camp," Nick's face let her know that she had said something that had not been to his liking.

"Did you lose your mind," the agent asked, raising his voice, "that would put the whole town on alert as well. The last thing we want is to have more monsters behind us".

"It was just a mere suggestion!" Liz replied unhappily, "It's going to take time to find the right connection anyway".

Nick glanced slyly toward the transmission lines that were lost in the trees overlooking a lake.

"It will be simple," he suggested in a low, cold tone of voice, "only the areas of Henoth am Hausmännin and the concentration camp have power in the entire Reich der Finsternis. The low voltage lines go to the village, where we came from; that means that the medium voltage lines will go to the concentration camp, that's what the librarian told us".

"Okay, that is reasonable," said Liz, "but, the concentration camp could have a backup generator," Fritz and Berger looked at each other.

"It's possible," answered Berger, pursing his lips, "It won't be enough for the sector, they need a hydroelectric plant for a reason, anyway, we have planned for it; that's why we are all ready for the signal, it must be fast.

Nick bowed, raising his hand to the top of his forehead to make it clear to the agents that the information had been received, he said no more words and asked Liz to follow him. The man showed no concern other than accomplishing his objectives.

"We will not return without Anika and the other hostages," said Liz out of Nick's sight and hearing range, "I really appreciate you guys keeping collaborating with us," when they heard those words, Fritz and Berger looked at each other puzzled, as if there was some information they were hiding from Liz. She realized, she was about to question them about it, until she heard Nick from behind her back.