Chapter 66

Illusion or reality? – PART 2

After Friedrich Holzmann's last words, the lights went out; Liz was lost inside a desolate black corridor, she listened to the breathing of creatures afflicted by the power of the dark blood and the contained mocking laughter that became more frequent as scarlet eyes illuminated in the midst of the dense darkness. Despair and anguish gripped Liz, the girl wept closing her eyes and covering her ear, she sought a point where her mind would not have the power to torment her. With that, she met Günther's eyes once again, she knew it would be useless to run away, the man was chasing her inside her mind.

"That is how those of us who are touched by divine enlightenment can live our reality without the spacetime that governs the physical world creating restrictions for us" Günther kept one hand in his pocket while accompanying his chatter with the other "that is the reason for your visions, Miss Sharrow. Visions that have been nothing more than a mere reproduction of the empirical. Our minds merge and we share knowledge in a new alternate reality created by us. Even what we dream, is acquired knowledge, and therefore another kind of reality; our dreams and nightmares could be a new conception of reality".

"No," Liz complained, clutching her forehead as if her head would detach from the rest of her body.

"This union allows us to better understand the individualities of the human mind, its feelings," Günther cut the distance to Liz in the middle of the desolate black room. She made no effort to separate herself from him. The man pointed to a spot behind her, Liz looked again, she could not believe her eyes; it was Chris in a formal uniform of a German police officer embracing a blonde woman with long hair in a ponytail also in the same uniform, after that, the rest of the screen turned into a room where other German police officers were watching the couple.

"I've been waiting for this moment for a long time," said Chris, smiling at the woman and taking a small box from his pocket, which he opened to reveal a beautiful ring that somehow reminded Liz of the same one the officer had given her. The encrusted gem was the only difference "Lena, I want you to be my wife" The woman was Chris' fiancée, the one he had spoken of the moment she was tricked into receiving the ring that hastened her impure state.

Lena smiled very happy, let out a tear of happiness and kissed Chris, all the other German officers applauded them, it was perhaps their engagement party. There was, however, a peculiar sound that caught everyone's attention; similar to an alarm hidden in one of the briefcases in the room. The frequency of the noise grew, the officers did not hesitate to recognize the danger, someone had taken the opportunity to introduce a bomb into the room and get rid of them. The officers rushed to evacuate the area, Lena was holding her fiancé's hand, but it was too late; the explosion devastated the place, everyone was covered in debris. The scene suddenly changed as if Liz was watching some TV show, in it, a wounded Chris in flesh and soul was crying over the body of his deceased Lena.

The scene changed suddenly once again, Chris appeared inspecting one of the chapels in the middle of the forest, she could hear the other German officers outside. She could recognize the marble beds on which the bodies of the condemned lay, in this case, only the pentagram of the Holzmann family along with some blood stains was visible. Chris was studying the symbol with a notorious air of uneasiness, sighing hastily; he took the sleeve of his shirt and lifted it to the top of his elbow showing that detestable symbol marked on his skin, the symbol of the Holzmanns. Liz brought her hands to her face, the image was shocking, especially because the officer's face reflected kindness, even though a black mist was emanating from it. The man was still inspecting the area, on the same marble bed he found a ring, Liz identified it, the same ring that Chris had given her; she knew that, although he had given it to her with a false story, deep down it did remind him of his fiancée, because he was looking at it with a torturing expression inside.