Chapter 73

The Holzmann diaries: PART 2 – The relics

Amelie's diaries about the statue of Anneliese disclosed facts that many would probably not have believed had they not experienced the abominations of Reich der Finsternis first hand; after several sessions of dialogue, they discovered that not even the Warrens were aware that the alleged piece of art was really the body of one of the most fearsome sorceresses and alchemists. Friedrich Holzmann's interest in the statue was now more than evident.

Mark Warren now found himself accused of desecration of the sorceress' body, now not only he and his family were accused of a crime that responded to their greed, but they had contributed to the beginning of the curse of blood in Europe, the legacy of Anneliese Holzmann.

"That some unwary person would find her and a new dark age would begin" Jake repeated Amelie's words in a mocking tone to Warren "just change the word unwary to idiot and we have a prediction that came true at the bottom of the letter" he finished by raising his voice. Warren felt indignation at Jake's words, only Judith reproached him for it, though her reason was otherwise.

„Hey, nicht fluchen! und ich meine es ernst! (Hey, no swearing and I'm serious!)" Judith scolded him by shaking her forefinger.

"Oh, es tut mir leid (oh, I'm sorry)" Jake apologized by showing his palms and backing away.

It wasn't the first time Liz had heard him speaking German; since her encounter with the agent, his mission would have borne more positive fruit than she had achieved in her entire hair-raising adventure, she couldn't feel more glad to have met with him.

"You know, Jake" Liz told him, "I still don't get how they put a cretin like Max in charge instead of bringing you in, you would have even served as a translator for us".

"Oh, you flatter me" Jake smiled and changed to a serious look "but seriously speaking, everything that has happened has led me to think that maybe among the high command of our institution there could be hidden interests behind this mission and when we get out of here we will have to make an exhaustive investigation" he emphasized his last sentences throwing a fierce look at Warren "anyway, now we know the truth about the statue and the girl, but there are still other things to be clarified".

Judith nodded, placed the alchemy book with blood on the table. Before opening it, she commented on other important points.

"Well, part of this story is known to us. After Anneliese's body was hidden, the power of the dark blood vanished completely. Amelie and the other sisters of the order built this asylum and lived here until the end of their days. In Henoth they built a statue in her honor, it was there where she made her life and perhaps that is why its inhabitants were the first to oppose the regime that Friedrich Holzmann wanted to implement years later" Judith opened the alchemy book, showing the section that detailed with images the consecration to the demons, Figures such as Krampus, and one named Rex Interitus were illustrated in its pages "Germanic folklore has been replete with stories of demons, witches, and mystical creatures, many things changed after the arrival of St. Boniface, apostle of Germany. However, to this day figures such as Krampus, the Alpen, Nachzehrer, Rübezahl, Erdhenne, or less threatening ones such as the ladies in white or Lorelei of the Rhine are still mentioned. Many of these figures were the source of the consecration and the origins of the cruel beasts; just as Anneliese did in her time, Friedrich Holzmann initiated the whole work of the dark blood and bringing Anneliese's body here saves him several steps in the face of the consecration ritual to bring the monsters, such as the development of the relics. We assume that he wants to reign with her in this country".

"Yes, some of that I can remember," Liz added, "I know that Mr. Holzmann seeks the return of his queen Anneliese, is this really... possible?" she paused, expressing a slight level of nervousness. Judith closed her eyes and took a breath to continue with the readings.