Chapter 26

Crossing into the unknown

After several hours that turned into an eternity filled with the most unimaginably atrocious and horrifying events that no one would expect to contemplate within a reality different from their darkest nightmares, sunlight finally broke through the impenetrable night darkness of Reich der Finsternis, giving way to dawn. Bernard said a prayer of thanksgiving for what had happened.

The sky was painted in its characteristic celestial color, accompanied by the singing of birds in a harmony that announced the partial defeat of the power of darkness. Now more than ever, Liz and her companions understood the dangers that the night held for them; they knew, however, that the nightmare was far from over, as the search for Max had not yielded any significant results since leaving the ghost town.

"Well," Chris gasped, "As I mentioned, there was nothing to worry about after sunrise." The man gasped once more and continued, "At least not for now, our current objective is to resume the search for Agent Allen, taking advantage of the light we now have. But first, I must report the situation to Captain Bunde, maybe we can mobilize some troops here and discuss with them our findings".

Chris's words made it clear once again that happiness was nothing more than a passing feeling in the den of damnation they were in. A memory froze Liz on the spot.

"CHRIS!" shuddered Liz after she began to tug at the burly agent's shirt -Chris. The blue stone- Chris was throwing her a look of puzzlement waiting for the girl to explain herself clearly -The executioner has the blue stone, I've seen it, HE HAS IT!!!, he uses it to summon all these monsters.

Although worried about what Liz was saying, Chris didn't understand the why she was upset, until the girl told them the whole story with more details.

"No," Chris hesitated, almost falling to the ground, "It can't be, it must be the traitor, YES, that was it," Chris was delirious and faking a smile, "Maybe it was Deisler, he must be the one responsible, he must have stolen it, COME ON!

Chris ran in the middle of the tombstones asking to be followed. Along the way he showed no interest in knowing whether his companions were still behind him or not. Both he and Bernard knew the escape route.

A few meters from the exit, the startling image of a collapsed Chris on the ground brought them to a screeching halt. It was just as they crossed the old, rusty back gate of the cemetery that they discovered the reason for it, which broke Bernard's peace of mind just the same.

Chris, still collapsed on the ground on his knees and pounding the ground with his fists in a vain attempt to vent his anger, lay beside his overturned and wrecked police van with traces of blows all over its bodywork. They pointed out Holzmann's executioner as the perpetrator, clearly intending to leave them with no easy means of transportation.

"Scheiße," Chris cursed, shouting in despair after standing up and kicking the tires of the van, which were now pointing skyward with their blue-gray hue, "Now we're screwed, without the damn van it will take us days to get to our next destination.

Bernard couldn't help but lose his cool after hearing Chris' words and finding himself back inside the forest of Reich der Finsternis, where more dark secrets awaited them as they plunged deeper into its deadly bowels.

Liz didn't understand how someone like Chris, showing himself so far as a calm and calculating man had been able to park the van right at the entrance of the cemetery in full view of everyone, but trying not to make him feel worse than he already was, she tried to divert his attention to another point.

"It doesn't matter anymore" murmured Liz in a comforting tone to his shoulder "We have to move, we already know we can't waste a single second".

Chris nodded, after observing Liz he stood up, it wasn't like him to grumble about matters that could no longer be solved.