Chapter 59

The King of destruction

Once again that monstrous and imposing image of a man with a short beard dressed in black and a pale countenance stood before them with a gaze that exuded an insatiable desire to annihilate. Just by gazing at his dilated pupils, the pain of the previous assaults came back to Liz. The punishers pranced to various parts of the substation, one of them guarding the opening levers; they knew why they had come.

The executioner unsheathed his stout sword, again producing that characteristic shuddering noise of metal friction; he put his lethal weapon aside and at a slow pace began to cut his distance to Liz.

"Agent Sharrow," Officer Andreas Berger spoke to her over the radio transmitter speaker, "This is too much, we can't win like this, we need a strategy!"

Liz was paralyzed, behind her back the punishers stalked hungry for them while the most detestable being of Reich der Finsternis was approaching towards her; she felt that the sky was falling, this time she would not count on the timely arrival of anyone, the monster was in front of her ready to make one of its devastating attacks, a manifestation that she interpreted as her soon end.

"Sharrow" Nick called her attention giving her back to control the area with the punishers jumping from one side to the other- If we don't pull the damn levers, this whole operation will go to hell.

Nick's words were not very encouraging, there seemed to be no possible escape route from a similar threat. Liz gazed again into those devilish blood-colored eyes, those reddened pupils had been the last image Bernard would have encountered before his fateful end. Fighting for her own life took a back seat to Liz's priorities; she wanted nothing more than to end the endless nightmare and see all the culprits pay for their crimes.

A feeling of determination took hold of Liz, she broke away from Nick taking firm giant strides towards the executioner undeterred.

"Go get the damn switches and tell Andreas and Tobias to cover you!" For the first time Liz dared to address Nick in an authoritative tone while firmly aiming her gun at Holzmann's executioner "I'll deal with this son of a bitch! "

"Are you sure you know what you're doing Sharrow," Nick said as he periodically shifted his aim while waiting for a response from Liz; she glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and nodded.

With the memory of the attack on the police force in mind, Nick doubted that Liz was really capable of taking down the hangman on her own; he understood that the girl was willing to sacrifice herself so that the mission could be accomplished; he decided to trust her and run to the points of interest in the substation.

The executioner showed no interest in Nick, his cruel murderous gaze aimed firmly at Liz's pupils. He took a few steps that echoed over the concrete surface as the agent took aim with no hope of ever doing enough damage; her only goal was to prevent the infiltration of the concentration camp from falling. His shuddering hoarse voice grew louder as he abruptly grabbed the handle of his sword with both hands and rushed at Liz with enough momentum to knock down one of the towers. Liz shot at it without causing significant damage and ran close to the chamber she had raided with Nick at first until she stumbled into a steel fence and felt a slight gust of wind from a powerful slash of the huge sword.

With a bounce she managed to evade the attack that ended up impacting on the metal fence; Liz had not finished getting up when the executioner made an unexpected turn towards her wielding his sword with both hands to continue with his relentless chain of attacks.

"Your transition is almost ready," the executioner shouted with his hoarse voice, "Keep resisting won't do you any good, accept your reality and let's get it over with now!"