Chapter 84

Light in the midst of darkness

Within the confines of Reich der Finsternis, cruel death was in constant pursuit of its unfortunate victims, yet escaping from it within its lair had proven to be a challenge. Everything that had happened went beyond the borders of the rational; the figure of a dying Günther on his knees on the pavement was proof of that.

Although Liz no longer trusted what her five senses perceived, her sixth sense developed by the blood curse told her that in front of her was indeed a figure of the concentration camp chief in flesh and blood. As Günther felt the heat of his death, coughed with blood and his mustaches were stained red; Liz walked up to him clutching her gun tightly; Nick and Jake did not let him out of their sight.

"Well," Liz muttered at the sight of the dying man, "it's been an interesting run, but it seems that things between you and me end here..." she paused, almost brushing her machine gun in his face "Mr. Günther".

"Herr Dr. Günther," he bellowed with a little breath, trying to get to his feet. Jake reloaded his shotgun and pointed it at Günther's head.

"You know, doc," said Jake, "I'd really like to give you a few words before blowing your head off like a dog, but seriously, boredom is killing me," Nick rolled his eyes, and reloaded his rifle.

"What if we just skip the speeches and get it over with?"

Just by listening to Nick's sorrowful voice, Dr. Günther let out a weak laugh of dementia, his face took on an almost spectral pallor, even though he was still suffering from the symptoms of his brutal wound, he managed to express his ideas with greater clarity.

"Do you really think you can get rid of me with that," said Günther, "You have already witnessed the union, I have given part of my humanity for the cause of Mr. Holzmann, my power is at the mercy of all of them, there's no way out," he coughed blood a couple more times and continued. He began to sweat even with the low thermal sensation "we are the alpha and omega of this new world, you can do whatever you want with my physical body, but you have already seen it. My memory will live on and with it the gift of blood. Keep in mind, that until the end of time I will be with you..." he raised his voice looking at Liz and inserting his hand in his sack now stained with blood "Miss Sharrow".

"I don't think so," Liz mumbled, "you no longer have power over my mind, much less my humanity. And don't bother, you'll have plenty of time to prepare your ridiculous speeches in fucking hell".

Günther launched a slap against the air that ended up generating a smoke screen between him and the agents. Nick did not hesitate to open fire on him, however, after the cloud disappeared the man was no longer there; it had been another of his power demonstrations.

"The change is coming," again Günther's voice, this time uttered from the shores of the infernal abysses. With one hand he held his Luger pistol at the agents, while with the other he held his deep wounds "my body will disappear, my memories will live on, but if I have to leave tonight, YOU ARE COMING WITH ME" he was unable to point it clearly at anyone.

Finally, Günther had lost his sanity, in everyone's opinion, an effect of the blood loss. The agents prepared to open fire and finish the man off once and for all, but then something unexpected happened. A huge monstrous figure leapt from the depths of the abyss, it was Max, something deep in the abyss had devoured his flesh from the thoracic area. His demon claw remained intact, it pierced Doctor Günther who had staggered after the untimely appearance, lifted him several centimeters above his head with the few human features that prevailed to end up throwing his enemy to a column that was stained with blood to then be lost in the depths of darkness. They heard Günther's body fall into the abyss. Max gave a last roar, his beating heart stopped and he fell dead to the ground, releasing a tear from his right eye.