Chapter 15

The graveyard

Liz was perspiring intensely despite the decreasing temperature of the night; her impetuous flight had raised her adrenaline levels to its highest level. In front of her, the annihilators were in agony, meeting their death while spilling that very characteristic dark fluid they had as blood.

The agent knew she should update her colleagues on the situation, but the anguish caused by her attempt to preserve her integrity did not allow her to keep track of her route. She instead decided to walk quickly around her new location, which did not give her the feeling of being under protection that she had hoped for. Lying in front of her was a huge graveyard with nothing but the moonlight shining on some kind of stones set in various places among the tombstones. The white color radiating from that sector was not exactly the kind of light she expected to find at the end of the tunnel; they generated a ghostly atmosphere in the middle of a place where there was no presence of anything but death. Despite the darkness of the night, it was evident that the place was huge, pointing to the fact that for several generations this was where the cycle of life ended for many of the inhabitants of Reich der Finsternis.

Still exhausted and feeling her heart rate slowing down, the girl let herself fall, leaning back on one of the marble tombstones, sitting on the damp floor and bringing her hand to her forehead in an abrupt manner without fully assimilating the situation she was going through. At the moment she had accepted to carry out the mission, she knew that a journey full of adversities awaited her, but at that moment she wished to wake up in her bed and feel that comforting sensation of knowing that everything that was happening was nothing more than a bad dream.

Still sitting on the floor and looking calmly at the eerie environment that stretched out in front of her, she heard again a call on her radio transmitter, which she immediately grabbed from her clothes eager to hear Chris' or Bernard's voice.

"Liz, this is Chris speaking, what's your status, you're nowhere to be found.

Hearing Chris' voice somehow got part of her soul back into her."

"CHRIS, for God's sake, where are you, are you all right?" Liz let out a loud, deep sigh mixed with joy.

"We're fine, but we were afraid something had happened to you, do you have any good news?"

"Besides having managed to escape alive from those ghouls that assaulted me in the square, no, none" Liz told sarcastically, although without receiving a reaction from Chris about it, she remembered part of her findings "Although now that I think about it, I think Max was there and I took some rather revealing pictures."

"I like that," Chris complimented her, "But as you know, these things should be discussed in person. By the way, did you mention something about some ghouls?"

"Yes, it seems that drinking blood has some effect on them. If I hadn't escaped they would have sliced me to pieces. I had to run into the forest to escape."

"THE FOREST?" Chris exalted, "You know you are in mortal danger there."

After hearing that sentence from Chris, Liz bleached her eyes and slowly stood up to continue the conversation, having regained her composure.

"You know, come to think of it, I don't think things have been much different in every part of this damn place I visit. Besides, I'm not in the forest anymore, in my escape I ended up in some kind of cemetery."

He could hear a loud sigh from Chris.

"In that case, the best thing to do is to avoid getting into more trouble," answered Chris, "I think it could be an important find, but we must find a way to get there without going through the forest."