Chapter 18

The execution

Liz gave a heavy sigh pretending that the gruesome images did not disturb her, although her confusion and the anguish created by Mr. Holzmann's terrible threats did not let her analyze the situation she was going through calmly. The man walked away towards the executioner, waiting for an answer from Liz, who was between a rock and a hard place at the mercy of a cruel fate that on neither side of the coin would have a positive outcome for her. She thought that revealing the location of the blue stone guarded by Ulrich would end all progress in the investigation and would be a death sentence for the entire German police force that had been sent to the area; on the other hand, her fate in refusing to collaborate would be a cruel death.

The misshapen faces of the graveyard workers remained attentive to the sentence of their supreme leader, with expressions in which no mood was distinguishable due to the malformations they were witnessing.

The state of the impaled remains illustrated the ruthless creativity of those beings when applying their justice, a future that the girl did not contemplate for herself, as she looked for a neutral point in that somber panorama that would motivate her to think with a cold mind the way in which she would solve her situation, although everything seemed to point out that there would be no positive end. After a frustrated gesture in the hope that she could carry out some action that would help her to complete her mission and not disappoint all those who placed their trust in her, Liz finally decided what her destiny would be and answered, observing Mr. Holzmann with a heartbreaking look.

"If you are so interested in finding your stone, go and look for it," she answered with a challenging voice, "I'd rather die than be part of your shitty army".

"YOU ARE INSOLENT" reproached Mr. Holzmann almost pretending that Liz's words had offended him and placing his hands on his chest, although shortly after he was more serene and tried to reason with her, who looked at him with deep contempt still feeling the almost forced breathing of the hunters "You know, those who mess with our blood and the plans of our institution, go to the courthouse, there my children and my wife decide what their future is. But as I told you, you no longer belong to that world, it is your duty to serve our queen. your duty!" he emphasized the last point.

"Why the fuck should I tell you what you're interested in, if I'll end up dead in mind or body anyway?" asked Liz, "after all, your servant offered me as live bait for a couple of hungry wolves upon my arrival".

At Liz's response, the man gave her a heartless grin and came closer to her, watching her from a few inches away from her face. The man was almost her height and his piercing gaze with those orange eyes exorcised all her emotions within a few seconds, as if it were some power related to telepathy.

"You will be one of us, you have no escape, you can be endowed with eternal life, why die with such a gift, why risk yourself for a country that brings you here to die, if we have already extended our hand to you, and especially, why remain under the rule of leaders who do not respect you, who do not care about you, mixed with all that is most detestable in this world, that is that dump you call America, just look what it gave you as friends?"

"Fuck you, asshole!" Liz insulted him. The girl received a hard slap from the man who threw her to the ground in pain.

Still enraged, Liz made an attempt to get up, glaring at the man with hatred and wiping a small amount of blood from her mouth. Before she managed to get to her feet, the hunters lifted her by the arms very roughly and again the executioner, who had not uttered a single word during the discussion, waited for an order from his master.

Du weißt jetzt, was du tun sollst. Bitte, bringe diesem jungen Mädchen Manieren bei (You know what you have to do, please teach this young lady some manners)," growled the man to the executioner who nodded and withdrew together with another pair of hunters in order to make some preparations.