Chapter 51

Henoth am Hausmännin

The terrifying adventure in the villages of Reich der Finsternis was narrowed down to fleeing for the sake of all the inhabitants; left behind were the hunters desperately searching for one of the agents. The dense gray mist that covered the forest areas created a gloomy atmosphere, even though by then the bright sun could be seen hiding behind the clouds.

Lukas had led them to the basement area with a secret exit directly into the forest of damnation. He loaded his hunting rifle, guiding Liz, Nick and Anika to a rocky area over which the soothing sound of a river current stood out. They had reached a wooden bridge near a waterfall; drops of icy water splashed over them.

"So far you come with me..." Lukas had frequented the upper sector of Henoth am Hausmännin on a few occasions. He did not hesitate to guide the agents to their destination with the hope that at some point the infernal reign of the Holzmann family would come to an end "Now I have to return to the village; if they don't find me there, I don't even want to imagine what could happen- he pressed his lips gently and went on" One of my friends, Florian, left the village when he shouldn't have. We think he went into the queen's cave, because the rippers brought his remains here.

Liz could not help but feel sorry for the young man; she had been lurking in the fearsome realm of darkness for little more than two days, and she did not even want to imagine what it would mean for those who lived in such a horrible place, surrounded by the designs of merciless death day after day.

"We thank you," said Liz, feeling for the first time a refreshing and comforting aura as she felt the drops of the waterfall splashing on her face.

"Keep going north and you'll get there. Don't worry about us," said Lukas already saying goodbye, "things like this happen every day in our villages, and although they are often frightening, we have learned to deal with them".

"Take care and thank your family for me" Liz said goodbye, without mentioning to him that they had been the ones who saw Florian die in the queen's cave, although he was already on his way to the village.

Although they had managed to escape Holzmann's executioner's hunters, the thought that old Bertha and Lukas' family might be in trouble because of them did not give her any peace of mind; there had already been many good souls who had perished before her eyes, including that of Bernard. Nick didn't speak to her until he realized that Lukas was out of sight, with a simple signal, he asked to be followed. Anika was after him, though Liz was transfixed for a few more seconds pondering the fate that now awaited them as they sought out the renowned Reich der Finsternis library. She ran after Nick as soon as she realized she was being left behind.

The current of the river was audible among the rocks in a narrower section than the one they had visited in their encounter with Florian and the monster known as the Hausmännin Eater. Liz watched the icy water flow from the high hill green with moldy rocks; there was nothing she wanted more at that point than to stop beneath the waters for a swim, but it was not only the fact that some ghoulish being might be waiting for her from the deepest reaches, but also a sense of duty. She was startled by the image of a common salamander, rather larger than usual, perching on the rocks.

"Sharrow," Nick caught her eye, "We've got work to do, hurry up!"

They walked for several minutes on a path that split the forest wide open, with the perennial trees covering them with their shadows. Towards the end, in the middle of the narrow path, they could distinguish a set of majestic houses built in concrete with a more contemporary style, the colors varied from white, orange and pungent. What most captivated their attention was the tall cathedral tower that towered above the other buildings in the German baroque style so characteristic of Lutheran churches. That one, however, had the Holzmann pentagram engraved on its front.