Chapter 81

Descent into the den of death

Nick's statement came as no surprise to the Americans, their fateful experiences had reached a point where nothing amazed them anymore. The looks Nick exchanged with Kira made it clear that he was not very pleased to see her.

"What do you mean, your cousin," Liz asked him, "could you explain yourself better?"

Although Nick wanted to continue with his mission, he preferred to answer Liz's request.

"My only family for a while, I took care of her as my daughter after my brother was killed, I didn't mention it to you, but they also killed my aunt, her mother. Only Kira and I are left" Nick answered, Liz did notice that the young woman was years younger than him "she was my family, until one day she decided to run away from home, leaving me all alone" she mentioned crossing her arms.

"I didn't do it on a whim Nick," affirmed Kira, "I didn't like your wanderings, that thing about joining Islamic groups to quench your thirst for revenge, and to be honest I was hoping that after eight years you would understand that. You even brought those people to the house that your late father left you as an inheritance. But then I investigated everything you were looking for, this Mark Warren and the relics of Anneliese" Nick continued ignoring her with an angry look on his face, Kira resumed her story "I could read your research on Reich der Finsternis, For years I trained to be what I am and I continued with the investigation on my part, I located the order of Amelie Holzmann, led by sister Berta and later by Judith; I wanted to put my skills to use to help those in need and since then I work here for the order".

"Come on," Jake said, "If you came all the way out here by yourself, you're as nuts as Mr. Holzmann and his daughter".

At Jake's mockery, the girl showed her weapons with a notorious smile typical of a tough woman. Liz had already realized how effective her ammunition and arrows were against the monsters.

"This town has already suffered a lot, with our help at least we have given them some hope, I feel it was the right choice" said Kira "I have not only devoted myself to distribute the inventions of the sisters of Amelie's order, I have also used them to make my own weapons. Especially my arrows. They have been very effective against these monsters, with them I was able to scare that bitch away".

"So, I guess you couldn't have joined us at a better time," Jake celebrated, Kira bowed to him and turned to Nick who still had his back to the group.

"And I have also talked to your superiors Nick" commented the girl with a smiling voice "so don't even try to take me out of the team".

"Come on," Liz scolded him, "are we gonna go on with our mission, or are you gonna stay like this for the rest of the night?"

Nick didn't answer, he pointed towards the path they had marked as the next point to investigate. The light illuminating the path from the partially opened gates created an image similar to a passage into a new dimension where most likely new paranormal events would be waiting for them.

The path was wide enough for the group to cross it smoothly, at the end, tall gates marked the entrance to a new place they were to explore. The rest of the group had been left behind after Tobias Fritz's casualty, their only option now was to wait for the other police officers to enter the place in the expectation that a terrible massacre would take place. Liz had a presentiment that tormented her, the abyss in which Max had met his end kept the same paranormal presences that lurked from the depths of the Hausmännin river; a dark aura emanated from it, she felt that she was walking again through an alternate dimension governed by the demons of perversity, with the difference that, on this occasion, her companions were participants of these experiences.