Chapter 42: Fainted

The boyfriend was placed in a squad car and set to head to the 21st district, where he would get a nice visit with the Intelligence Unit interrogation room for some questions about what was found at the house.

Jay and Erin stood outside of the house as they watched the officers go in, set to collect the various drugs that were discovered during the Intelligence Unit sweep of the property. Everything would be collected and logged, with a list supplied to Intelligence. Everything would then be locked in evidence, ready to be used or brought out if necessary. 

Erin lets out a sigh, feeling a little nauseous to her stomach as they waited for everything to be collected. She rubs her stomach, taking a deep breath as she thinks about why that may be the case. Could she be hungry? Maybe she was thirsty. It was not like they had been able to stop much since arriving at the Keaton residence. It could not be due to the heat, as it was not even that hot out being a fall Chicago day. Maybe she was coming down with something. She had not been sick in awhile. What if that was catching up with her? 

She takes another deep breath, feeling another wave come over her just like the previous as she wonders if she should say something. It would be pretty embarrassing if she started throwing up randomly on a call. They both did not need to stand out there and wait as she could wait back in the car. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a seat. 

However, the words never escaped her lips as she watched the officers go in and out of the house, each trip resulting in another bag being brought out with more drugs or money. She could not take her eyes off the scene as it was shocking to see just how much a 16-year-old had stashed. It made her begin questioning the case, and the boyfriend's story. Perhaps there was someone who was staying here with him. Maybe this was actually a stash house. And how did this all connect to the twins being killed?

It also brought her back to the mother, and her fight to increase the criminal code penalties for drug possession and distribution. Everybody thought she was trying to put up a good fight for the city. But what if there was another motive? What if she knew more than she was letting on about her daughter's actions?

"Are you okay?" Jay asks, breaking Erin's concentration from her thoughts as she looks over at him. Crap. He had noticed the signs of her feeling sick. She should have focused on that, and not allowing her mind to wander. Now she would have to deal with him bothering her all day and checking in on her.

"Yeah," she lies, not wanting to get into the full discussion and his worry right now. They were supposed to be doing their job and getting distracted by a possible stomach bug was not going to help anyone. "I will be fine, Jay. I probably just need to grab a drink on the way back to the 21st." She then takes a deep breath once again as another wave comes over her.

"Eri-"

"Jay, I'm fine. I told you that you did not have to worry about me." He then reaches over squeezing her hand as it was obvious her pleas to get him off of her back were getting her nowhere. Why could he read through her, sometimes even better than Hank? "I just feel a little sick to my stomach."

"Maybe you should go see Wi-"

"So the guy that doesn't like hospitals and tries to avoid them no matter at what costs, even if he is bleeding out, is now sending me to see his brother that is a doctor? I think you are being a little overkill there. I told you that I would be fine." 

It was at that moment another wave came over her, as she felt faint immediately. She then begins to fall to the side, with Jay grabbing her with both of his arms as he catches her. He then lays her on the ground as he reaches for the radio on his waistband.

"Jay...." She lets out, her mind swirling in all different directions as there was no way she could focus straight if she wanted to. Why did it seem like everything was spinning around her? Why was she seeing two Jays holding her right now? 

"5021 George I need an ambo to my location immediately!" He practically shouts into the radio. "We've got an officer down at the scene!" He then sets the radio aside, keeping his arms cradled around her body as he looks into the lost set of eyes that were looking at him. "Stay with me, Erin..." 

"What is going on?" She wanted to get up as she watched other officers begin to circulate. She hated looking like she was the weak link on the team. She then goes to lift herself up out of his arms, but falls back once again as she feels another wave of dizziness come over her. "I am so dizzy. Why am I so dizzy, Jay?" 

"I don't know, Erin. I don't know but they should be here immediately." He then feels a bit panic rise in seeing the increased signs of confusion before him as he reaches for the radio that he had sat on the ground. Why did it seem like it was taking hours for a response? There were ambulances throughout the whole city of Chicago. One of them should be there already. "I need an ETA on that ambo!" 

"So dizzy..." She then shakes a bit in his arms, a moan escaping her lips as he tightens his grip on her body. She welcomed it, feeling a coldness come over as she wanted to just bury herself against his warm body. "I feel awful. I feel so dizzy...so cold.... What is going on, Jay?" 

"I don't know, Erin. Just stay with me..."