(Chapter 6) My Poor Sweet Sister

Around lunchtime, seeing that I hadn't come down, Abigail brought my lunch to me. As I was going to take my first bite of my yummy ravioli, my phone rang, so putting my fork down, I answered the call.

What I heard next shocked me to the core. Aunt Mady told me that Everly was in the hospital and I should rush there as soon as possible.

Dropping my phone down, I felt my chest tightening as my heart raced with dread.

Racing to my car, I called aunt Mady to ask which hospital was Everly in and she told me.

Driving at a super high speed, I raced to the hospital and went to the information desk to find out where Everly's room was.

After finding out, I ran straight to her room and was in a state of shock seeing her.

She had just come out of theatre and was going to be placed on the bed in her room.

Going to the side of the bed, I helped to place her on the bed, then went outside the room to speak to the doctor who informed me that Everly had broken both her legs, from a fall.

"Broken her legs, but how?", I screeched

"Sir that is a question that you would have to ask the person who was with her", the doctor calmly replied.

Running to aunt Mady who was sitting outside, on one of the benches near Everly's room, I maintained a calmer demeanor, before bending down to her level as I asked,

"Aunt Mady, do you know what happened to Everly. Why is she in the hospital. What happened to her legs, where were you when this happened...." I kept asking as the questions kept coming out my mouth.

Taking my face in her hands, she said, "Kellen, Everly attempted to kill herself, I am so sorry but I really don't know anymore than that"

"What!, why would she do something like that to herself" I screamed because I finally reached my limit with holding my temper.

"That, is a question, you will have to ask Everly yourself my dear", she whispered as she started crying once again.

Rising up,  I started pacing up and down, thinking to myself, how long more would it be before Everly wakes up... to get the answers I need.

Panic stricken and filled with absolute grief, I went to call my grandma from my car phone to let her know what was going on.

I knew my grandma would question me about where I was when this happened and I decided to tell her half the truth, that I was at our family home leaving Everly here alone.

Filled with guilt, I thereafter sat by my sister's bed side chair and cried for being a useless elder brother. Instead of taking care of my sister, I was more interested in nursing my own broken heart.

Questions kept running around my mind about what made Everly do this, what drove her to it, where was her boyfriend when this happened, could he have possibly have done this to her, where was Aunt Mady when it happened, why didn't Everly speak to me about what was going on?, the questions just refused to stop coming.

I stayed with Everly that night and woke up in the morning when I felt her moving her fingers away from mine to wipe her eyes.

Taking her face in my hands, I placed my forehead against hers as we both cried at her situation.

By lunchtime, she started speaking to me, asking if grandma knows what happened to her, to which I told her "Yes"

Straight after, her tears wouldn't stop.

After a few moments, she finally told me the entire story of what happened, how her boyfriend cheated on her and how she decided to end her life.

Wanting to kill him for doing this to her, I calmly asked her," Why did you not come to me Everly, why did you decide to deal with this by yourself, if you only decided to speak to me, we both could have found a solution together.