Chapter 31: Heartfelt Confession (Part 2)

Lan Su rarely drinks.

  In the past, when she was in the Lan family, antiques always got into trouble on the road. Today they were stolen by tomb robbers, and tomorrow they were intercepted by people from the enemy gang. She was out dealing with them 360 days a year.

  After finally taking a break, she went to the small town tavern and ordered a glass of bitter buckwheat starry sky. The bitter taste was relieved by the stimulation of alcohol, and she regained the sense of being a living person. Her alcohol tolerance was just this much, no more, no less.

  I felt a little more bitter that night, so I drank one more glass.

  A delicate breath rushed to my thigh through the fabric of my trousers, and I felt a tingling sensation. The fingers holding my arm moved, and I looked up and said to Ai Li and the others:

  "You guys go in, I'll come."

  Xiaolan was horrified: "How can this be possible? She is so drunk, Mr. Huo, you can't move her by yourself!"

  Ai Li, however, saw through everything, pulled Xiaolan back, and said to Huo Yan: "Then call us if you need anything."

  The lobby on the first floor returned to its tranquility. The crystal chandelier dropped vast starlight, illuminating Huo Yan like a statue of a goddess protecting mortals.

  Lan Su threw himself on her legs, his coat spread out like a fishtail, and his hands climbed upwards like a butterfly struggling in a spider web.

Huo Yan held her like this, his head lowered, and he felt a sense of divine compassion. His feet touched the ground, and the soft carpet swallowed up all the sounds. His arms went over her back and knees, and he lifted her up effortlessly.

  Everything in the huge building is quiet, every object stays in its own place, even the light at the edge is evenly distributed, and the lines are clear. In the precise space where every inch of light is carefully calculated, only one thing is blurry.

  It was a pair of overlapping figures, one holding the other horizontally, going up the winding stairs step by step. The blurry shadows moved slowly on the ground, like the only living thing in this shrewd and calculating world.

  The drunk Lan Su was very well behaved. He didn't cry, make a fuss, go crazy, or get poetic.

  She just snuggled up in the warm embrace, greedily breathing in every breath of the ebony and citrus perfume, thinking that this must be the smell of heaven.

  His back touched the soft mattress and his body seemed to sink into the clouds. The thick and fluffy comfort evoked a sense of familiarity. Lan Su slowly opened his eyes, his eyes were unfocused, like fog and water, and it took him a long time to focus on this beautiful face.

  "Huo Yan."

  She called her name in a soft voice.

Huo Yan slowly pulled out the hand that was pressed under her body, and used her slender fingers to push away the long hair lying on her face. Her tone was unusually soft:

  "You are drunk, go to sleep."

  Lan Su looked at her blankly, her willow-shaped eyes half opened, reflecting the dark golden glow of the bedside lamp, like a misty aristocratic girl in a medieval oil painting.

  "Don't hate me."

  She said, her words full of begging:

  “I’ve always been hated.”