Chapter 43: First Layer Vest (Part 2)

The quiet night was broken by the sound of gunfire. The ground shook, and birds fled through the woods. The friction between branches and wings made a whistling sound of rapidly flowing air.

  Screaming, running, people falling to the ground.

  The crew finished work urgently, and the stagehands ran away with the expensive equipment, leaving cardboard boxes and tables and chairs on the ground. The scripts and unknown A4 documents were blown everywhere by the wind, making the ground a mess.

  Jiang Ying was so frightened that her whole body froze. She clutched her phone, not knowing whether to move forward or backward. Ai Li carried her back to the car and drove away.

  "Call Mr. Huo."

  Ali stepped on the accelerator to the bottom and drove in the direction where the two were walking, but he didn't see anyone.

  "Oh, okay." Jiang Ying suppressed her fear, her fingers tapping on the phone uncontrollably, and finally dialed Huo Yan's number.

The cell phone rang in the muddy pit, flickering under the huge shadow of the tree. Ellie stopped the car and used the flashlight to find the cell phone in the mud pit and the overturned wheelchair next to it.

  Jiang Ying panicked, "Oh no! Were they kidnapped?"

  Ai Li shone the wheelchair around the muddy puddles and saw only a size 37 footprint, no other size, and no other footprints on the path or by the river, so there should be no kidnappers. Going up along the direction where the wheelchair fell, the size 37 footprints extended all the way to the grove of trees.

  "Probably not. There are only Miss Lan's footprints here."

  His calm eyes gradually froze, his brows sank, and Ai Li finally realized something. He picked up his phone and turned to look at Jiang Ying, who was trembling in the passenger seat:

  "Call Miss Lan."

  Jiang Ying immediately did as she was told. This time the phone was picked up after one ring, but it was not Lan Su.

  "Hello, Jiang Ying."

  "Hey, sister, what are you doing now——"

  The words came out of his mouth suddenly, and he realized later that the person's voice was calm and flat. It was Huo Yan, so he quickly changed his words:

  "Boss Huo, how are you doing now?"

On the other side of the phone, Huo Yan had just been carried to the hotel by Lan Su and fell into the single sofa.

  "We're in the hotel, everything is fine."

  His tone was steady, without panic or fear, but with a slight ups and downs after intense exercise, and then he arranged:

  "You and Ai Li come back first. Safety is the most important thing. Call the police on the way and tell them the general situation."

  As he was speaking, Lan Su took the phone away and added skillfully:

  "Tell the police that the suspect is on the other side of the river 100 meters downstream from where the crew turned right after leaving the house. The shell casings and bullet marks should still be there. Ask them to quickly seal off the area, the sooner the better."

  Jiang Ying was stunned for a moment, and Ai Li, who was driving the car beside her, was also stunned for a moment - just now she asked Jiang Ying to call Huo Yan first because she was afraid that Lan Su would panic and be at a loss, but who knew that he was calmer than her boss?