Chapter 21 Lan Su's Skills (I)

The Huo family's old house is located in the north of Lanbin City. It takes nearly two hours to drive on the elevated road and then the mountain road.

  The old house was a black brick and white wall Hui-style building, with a sloping eaves and carved wind-chasing beasts on the eaves. There was a door knocker hanging from the door, and there were steps up and down.

  Huo Yan was in a wheelchair and could only use the side door with an accessible ramp, so Lan Su went with her.

  The big families that got started in the last century have a common problem - too many rules.

  This is true for the Lan family and the Huo family as well.

  For example, when Lan Su followed Huo Yan in through the side door, he was stopped by the housekeeper.

  "The bride must enter through the front door and step over the fire basin to get rid of bad luck. This is the rule."

  Lan Su did as she was told, thinking that the Huo family was doing it for her own good and to get rid of the bad luck.

  Huo Yan was waiting for her in front. To get to the hall, one had to pass through a courtyard with lush pine trees and three white walls. There were steps in the round arches of each wall.

It seems that Huo Yan is not very welcome in the Huo family, or rather, she seldom comes back.

  Otherwise, the legendary old man should have taken her mobility issues into consideration and built an accessible ramp next to the stairs so that at least a wheelchair could pass through.

  In the end, the two of them went through the garden path on the side.

  Even though the servants passing by would greet him respectfully, Lan Su knew that these kindnesses were only superficial.

  There were many people in the old house. Perhaps they had always lived together, or perhaps they had gathered together today to judge her, the new daughter-in-law.

There was no freedom and excitement of a family. When I stepped into the hall, the old man was sitting opposite the door, and there were three square tables and four chairs on each side. From inside to outside, from old to young.

  There were nine seats, eight of which were occupied, and the first seat on the old man's left was empty.

  The old man sat in a mahogany chair facing the main door, with a dark cloud over his head. He was wearing a black Mao suit with a golden dragon pattern, and a pair of black Beijing cloth shoes. His hair and beard were white, and his overly thin body did not look very healthy, but his eyes, surrounded by age spots, were as sharp as hooks.

  "You still remember to come back?"

  The old voice sounded like dead leaves being crushed in autumn, ancient but harsh.

  Huo Yan looked up at the harsh sound and smiled like a shopping mall:

  "An ugly daughter-in-law has to meet her parents-in-law. I brought Lan Su back today to meet the elders."

  After saying that, he turned his head and whispered to Lan Su: "Lan Su, this is grandpa."

  Lan Su took a small step forward, clasped his hands in front of his abdomen, and bowed politely:

  "Hello, Grandpa."

The old eyelids left a triangular space for the eyeballs, making the eyes look sharper. He looked Lan Su up and down, and his voice was much more stern: