Chapter 62: Secrets of the Past

"With you here, I don't feel any pain."

Olivia's cheeks flushed slightly at Damien's words, but she pretended not to hear and continued focusing on tending to his wound.

The injury was on his side, right where the waistband of his pyjama bottoms sat. The previously clotted wound had started to bleed again due to the pressure.

Wincing at the sight, Olivia's tone grew stern. "You can't wear these. You need to change into a dressing gown!"

She went to the wardrobe and retrieved one of Damien's robes, handing it to him. "Put this on instead."

Damien's lips curved into a slight smile as he observed her serious expression. The man who appeared so fierce and cold to the outside world was utterly docile in Olivia's presence. He accepted the robe with a simple, "Alright."

He began to remove his top, and Olivia quickly turned away. But as she did so, she felt a twinge of regret. Should she have seized the opportunity to admire Damien's physique?

As if reading her thoughts, Damien's voice came from behind her: "Olivia, you're welcome to look at any part of me."

Olivia was speechless.

"I heard you come home earlier, when you opened the door," Damien added.

Olivia's mind went blank at his words.

If Damien had heard her return, did that mean he also knew she'd come upstairs looking for him and spent ten minutes lurking outside his door? And this man had pretended not to know, even demanding eighteen kisses, only to reveal the truth now...

When had Damien become so crafty?

Olivia's thoughts were in turmoil, but she managed to turn back around, feigning nonchalance.

Damien had changed into the dressing gown, but as she needed to treat his wound, he'd left it completely open.

Olivia's gaze was immediately drawn to Damien's sculpted chest and the defined lines of his abdominal muscles beneath.

She unconsciously licked her lips.

Olivia's eyes kept darting to Damien's flat stomach, even as she pretended to casually reach for the medicine to apply to his wound.

As she sprinkled the powder onto the injury, Damien's rich, melodious voice came from above: "Liv, I'm sorry."

Olivia looked up, puzzled.

In the warm light, Damien gazed at her intently, speaking each word with deliberation: "I'm sorry I got hurt. This body belongs to you, Liv. I promise to take better care of it from now on."

They were so close that Olivia could clearly see her own reflection in Damien's eyes. Perhaps it was because his eyes were so strikingly beautiful, but she felt as though she'd never looked lovelier than in that moment.

She opened her mouth, wanting to say something, but her racing heart left her at a loss for words.

The man before her drew closer, and then his lips were on hers.

The fresh, crisp scent of pine and snow enveloped her. Olivia's hand, still holding the medicine bottle, trembled slightly, spilling powder over her fingers.

Damien didn't deepen the kiss. He lingered for just a few seconds before pulling away.

Seeing Olivia still gazing at him with wide eyes, showing no signs of disgust or displeasure, he felt a sweet warmth spreading through his chest, filling his entire body.