Day 5 - Forgetting

I just took my first shower here and it was so weird.

We still don't have any electricity which means I had to take that (cold) shower in the dark. I had never did that before and clearly this is really weird not being able to see anything while you're cleaning yourself. Plus, Anna was just outside the door of the locker room and believe me it was so strange to know that your ex-teacher was lurking around while you were taking a shower.

Speaking of Anna... She really didn't sleep well last night - even after I woke her up and looked her falling back to sleep. When I woke up this morning I looked at her and she was just scary to look at. I think what she did yesterday really destroyed her - I mean her mind and everything. She had tears in her eyes when I prepared our breakfast and I didn't know what to say or do to help her. She just feel guilty for what she has done even if it was the best and only thing to do for that poor guy who was dead anyway. I mean she put an end to his life because he was suffering and because we couldn't do anything else to try and save him!

Eventually I think I did find a way to help her while I was in the shower. Because I felt so uncomfortable knowing she was around - but we figured out it was safer to be at the same place at the same time - I began to sing in the bathroom. That is not something I'm used to do and I never sang in the shower before. But it was a great way to stop thinking of her being right behind the opened door.

Yes, the door was open because it was the only way to have at least a little bit of light. There's no window in the locker-room which is therefore a really dark place without lamps. I swear I was totally in the dark to take that shower (and believe me this is terrible : how do you find your shampoo? How do you find your towel? It took me ages to take that shower).

Anyway I began to sing to stop thinking and something even weirder happened. I heard Anna singing too. We were singing together there and it felt really good. I dressed up as fast as I could (which is really slow) and went out of the room to find her smiling - something I haven't seen since she was my teacher last year. I forgot how her smile looked like and it was indeed cool to share a song or two.

We laughed and sang a bit more. We even started dancing a bit while we were going back to the seventh floor. For a moment, I swear we forgot everything else in the world - the App-ocalypse and the Sleepers, the Robbers and the dog eating a stranger, everything else.

Unfortunately this bit of fun stopped as brutally as it started. We heard a gunshot - somewhere in the city. It was obviously far from us but still this broke our mood and we realized how stupid we were to forget about the rest of the world and how lucky we were to have thought of that place to live.

At least that's what I thought. Looking back on it and remembering Anna's face, I think she just realized she forgot for a little while she killed a man yesterday. Therefore she must have felt even guiltier than before we started singing. I still think I helped her with my singing though.

For a while everything was great - just as if nothing ever happened to us. Of course until very recently I would have found that so strange and crazy. I mean seriously... Who takes time to sing with a teacher while taking a shower, right? But it felt really great to relieve the pressure after all we've been through during the past five days. When we were singing I didn't worry about anything else that the lyrics because I wasn't sure I knew them that well. It was probably a terrible concert to listen to us singing but we didn't care because they were basically no one to hear us.

Anyway I must stop writing. Anna has cooked something for lunch in the Biology lab - it's on the eight floor but we decided this should definitely be our kitchen given that this is the only place with gas cylinder and fire, with taps and plats and graduated pipettes to drink our water.

Time to eat.