Day 37 - Finding Anna

Yes, this is the second chapter of the day, let's say it's a present for the holidays. It's also the last chapter of the year, I'll be back in January. In the meantime don't hesitate to share the story with your friends or share your feelings with me. You can comment or tweet me (@ShipouJG / #TheApp) if you like :)

I really hope you're liking my story so far and that this chapter won't make you go away. Full disclosure: it had been hard to write down, but this was always what I had in mind. I have a lot of things left to write though so I can't say too much ;)

I wish you all all the best for the holidays. Have a good time with whoever you want to spend your time and see you next month!

--------------

All was silent when we arrived at Anton's house. It was in the middle of the night and all was dark around us once Georges stopped the car. To be fair, white ashes all around the house were contrasting with the darkness of the night since the moonlight reflected on them and gave the scene a gloomy atmosphere that was unbearable.

My first reaction would have been to run through the house but when I stepped out of the car I realized I was petrified. Georges turned on again the car headlights. I couldn't move - I was standing there, freezing, watching the house I grew to call home in the last few weeks. Anna was there. She was reachable. A minute away. My whole world suddenly became a big "What if?".

What if she was dead?

I wasn't sure I could go in there anymore. Was it a good idea to pop out of the blue as if nothing had happened just to take care of her? I knew everything would change between us, no matter what. And so I was totally paralyzed. What if she find a way to escape and wasn't there anymore?

Anton saw how paralysed I was and took my hand. Of course he had to make a joke about it - I don't even remember the exact words but it was about him invading my personal space again, except this time he had ugly yellow clothes. It actually made me smile. What if she was gone?

I stepped forward toward the house. Georges were already waiting for us at the door, rushing us and telling us we shouldn't waste our time. It could be a matter of minutes after all. We penetrated the house together and walked toward the hatch. Through a window the moonlight was lightening us. What if she bled a lot and died suffering all alone?

I could feel my heart more than ever - as if I was about to vomit it on the ground. My mouth was dry and so were my eyes even though I knew I was about to cry - no matter what we'll find inside. I let Georges open the trapdoor and my heart definitely skipped a beat. In a few seconds, I'll know the answer to the only question I've been asking myself for three days. What if she blamed me for what happened to her and Michael?

It was so dark I couldn't see anything. Anton called her name and no one replied. I felt empty. I almost fainted out - but I couldn't, not until I saw her, not now. As I was going downstairs, it took a few seconds for my eyes to be used to the lack of the light. I know now it was only a few seconds but it felt like a lifetime there. What if she had left this world?

Everything was so dark, everything was so silent. What if she was dead?

She was there. My eyes could saw her shape, she was lying on the ground. She didn't answer me when I called her name. Anton and Georges were right behind me and she was resting there before our eyes. What if we were too late after all?

At least we found her body. At least it was there. At least I knew where she was. At least I could touch her. What if she was just asleep?