fourteen :: maya meets the 'l' word

"I still can't believe Farkle proposed to you!" I said as we drove down a long free way.

"I know right, Farkle's got game." Lucas laughed.

"Guys stop it!" Riley piped in, "It was really embarrassing and I feel really bad for him."

"At least he tried." I shrugged.

"What if Riley said yes?" Lucas said sarcastically with his big blue eyes wide.

"Can you imagine! I would be Riley's maid of honor and-" Before I could finish Riley interrupted me.

"Stop teasing me!" Riley wined.

"We're just kidding Riley." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"I know, let's just see Farkle and leave okay?" Riley asked.

Lucas looked over at me and winked. I giggled as he turned his eyes back to the road with a wide smile open.

I turned on the radio and it was Riley and I's song.

"Maya! It's our song!" Riley yelled and I laughed.

"Yes!" I replied.

Riley and I were singing at the top of our lungs.

I loved music, and singing as was actually trying because I knew Lucas was right there behind me.

-

A FEW HOURS LATER

Riley was asleep and her phone was turned off because of how many times her parents tried to call her.

"Hey Lucas?" I said quietly so I wouldn't wake up Riley.

"Yes?" He replied.

"I just wanted to tell you how much it means to me that you're always here for me." I said trying not to sound cheesy.

"Anything for you to feel safe." He smiled.

"How come you like me?" I blurted out.

"What?" He said surprised.

"You had Riley, and she's my best friend so I know just how amazing she is. She's funny, and smart, and fun. I'm broken, and scared, and sadly my confidence wasn't how it was last year. I'm an alcoholic who will never graduate from high school, a failed artist, and I'll never be as good as you are to me."

Lucas, who was still shocked by my confession said, "Don't say that, Maya. Don't compare yourself to what I had with Riley. You said it yourself, if I really liked Riley, why would I have fallen for you?"

I smiled remembering when Lucas kissed me at the party and I yelled at him. Fun times.

"You're incredibly beautiful, Maya. Those blue eyes, and blonde hair that I can't stop dreaming about. You're honest, even if it hurt. Not to mention you're the strongest person I've ever met. I love how you tease me, and how you let all of your emotions out when you sing. God I love you!"

I was speechless.

Did he just say he loves me?

Lucas Friar loves me.

It hasn't even been that long, we've only been together for a few days maybe a week. How could he throw around that word like that?

"I'm sorry Maya, I just kinda spit it out." Lucas apologized.

I didn't reply, and I looked out of the window. We were in the middle of nowhere.

It had been an hour since Lucas used the 'l' word and I was still surprised and I felt bombarded with his statement.

"We're here." He simply said his voice deeper than usual.

Riley squealed as we exited the car.

The Minkus building hasn't been opened yet, but it seemed to be completely built. We walkes in side and noticed all the people running around placing furniture here, and furniture there. Everyone was in a mad rush.

"Hello?" I tried to get someone's attention.

No one looked up, "Excuse me?" I tapped a women's shoulder.

She turned a gave me a sweet smile, "Yes?"

"Um, have you seen Farkle Minkus?" I asked her.

Her eyes teared up, "Yes- um- I mean no- you should ask his father, he should be here soon."

I was a bit confused by what she said as she walked away.

I turned to Riley, "What do you think that means, Riles?"

Before Riley could reply the doors swung open and everyone stopped in there place. They made a walkway as Mr. Minkus walked through the door.

He looked more strict than I remembered him to be. And he had more rudeness in his voice.

"Everyone get back to work." He said until he reached Riley, Lucas, and I, "Except you."

"Hi Mr. Minkus." Riley smiled wide.

"Almost daughter in law." He said.

"Hey," I said awkwardly.

"I guess the whole gang is here." He said unenthusiastic.

"Sir, we just really want to see Farkle. He left without us knowing and we have no idea where he is." Lucas said.

"I know, he didn't want to tell you." Mr. Minkus grabbed a napkin and a pen and wrote something down, "Farkle's here go down the street and to the left."

With that he walked away. He was never a man with a few words, these past few months must have really changed him.

"Let's go." Lucas said wasting no time.

We all hurried after him and into his car.

I looked up the address on my phone and it only took about 5 minutes to get there. Once we arrived we were surprised by where Farkle has been.

"Washing DC Children's Hospital." I read out loud.

"We have to find him." Riley said her voice sad.

We hurried inside, ran up the stairs, and dashed three doors to the right.

We barged inside. There was no going back now, we finally know what happened to Farkle.

He was laying on a hospital bed his hair messy, and thick. He looked tired and worn out, but you couldn't tell from the smile he had when Riley walked in.

"Hey, Farkle." I greeted him.

Riley gave him a hug, and then I did, and then him and Lucas did the cool guy handshake.

"Why didn't you tell us where you were?" Riley asked him.

"I'm going through something that I didn't really want to tell anyone about." Farkle said and it was nice to hear his voice again.

"Farkle what's wrong?" I said getting protective of him.

"I have cancer." He said, and my heart dropped to the floor.